Plant Growth Hormones

Maslow

Plant Growth Hormones -

Post by Maslow » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:36 am

Does anyone here have any insight into the plant growth hormones and their effects on cactus?

I am most curious about into Triacontanol, Brassinolide, and Gibberellic Acid and their effects on cactus growth.

Any thoughts, insights, or experiences?

Captu4ik

Re: Plant Growth Hormones -

Post by Captu4ik » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:37 pm

lapslideman wrote:Does anyone here have any insight into Triacontanol, Brassinolide, and Gibberellic Acid and their effects on cactus growth.

Any experiences?
Yeah, but it's been several years. Back when I grew those high $, flowering annuals, I bought a sampler of Benzylaminopurine, Brassinolide, Triacontanol, Gibberellic Acid, IAA and IBA, with an eye towards raising production.

The GA3 was used strictly as an aid in germinating otherwise problematic seeds.

IAA was used in seedling grafting to promote bonding of scion and stock. I think I posted the results of that somewhere here, several years ago.

BAP was used in conjunction with DMSO as a topical application to aureoles to promote pupping. I think I posted the results of that somewhere here, several years ago.

BAP was mixed (at a different strength) with DMSO and applied as a 'foliar feed' once a month for 3 months. In 4 months, cactus (Pedro, I think) being fed showed between 25 and 33% more growth than similar, untreated control.

Brassinolide, fed foliarly as above, showed no variance from control. But, when Brassinolide was combined with BAP, remarkable growth occurred. Unfortunately the growth was too fast and the cacti split badly.

As far as Triancontanol, it works so well on buds I never tried it on cacti. I hope this helps. If you need more info, just ask -- Ed.

anthrome

Re: Plant Growth Hormones -

Post by anthrome » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:29 pm

All the best horticulturists I've met don't use growth hormones. Make good compost and soil mix and you're set.