Growing San Pedro from seed

Growing San Pedro from seed

Postby shamanita » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:19 am

Greetings,

a friend giftd me a bag of San Pedro seeds. There is very little information to be found online about how best to propagate them. Does anyone have input as to how to go about it? They will be started and grown indoors as my climate is not cactus friendly.

Cheers!
shamanita

Re: Growing San Pedro from seed

Postby sage-borodin » Fri May 12, 2017 8:13 am

I might be able to help.

This site at the moment appears to be quite low traffic, (that's kind of what I like about it)though if you still need the information I'm here to help.
sage-borodin

Postby jbmac » Sat May 13, 2017 4:36 pm

Please post, we need to make this an active site again - the only way is to post
jbmac

Postby sage-borodin » Sun May 14, 2017 6:57 am

I'm happy to post.

Though since I am unsure if the original poster is still interested, I will copy and paste from another source:

Growing Seedlings
Check every few days to see if seed is germinating. Lift the plastic wrap to mist the top of the potting mix occasionally. Do not let the soil dry out. When most of the seed germinates, fold the plastic wrap back to reveal one-quarter of the pot opening. Mist the seedlings daily.
Water the pot every week or two from the bottom as you did before planting the seeds. Fold back more of the plastic gradually as the seedlings grow. Continue to mist from the top.
Remove the plastic entirely when the seedlings have a few spines showing at the top. Water with a one-quarter strength all-purpose balanced fertilizer once a week, watering from the bottom. Keep misting so that the potting mix remains moist but not soggy.
Continue this regime until the seedlings reach about 1/2 inch tall or when they begin to press against the sides of the pot, when they can be transplanted.
Transplanting Seedlings
Put masking tape around your fingers so your skin isn't pricked by spines. Turn the seedling pot over and tap out the plants. Gently work extra soil away from the roots by softly thumping the seedling root ball against a clean work surface. Use your fingers to gently tap the roots to shake off more potting mix.
Grasp three to four of the seedlings at one side of the massed seedlings. Hold the remainder with your other hand and gently tug the small group of seedlings free from their siblings, trying not to break any roots. Lay them with their roots spread out on a clean piece of newspaper on your work surface. Continue to separate clumps of three to four seedlings at a time until you separate the entire pot of seedlings.
Mix up more of the potting mix and moisten it so it is just damp. Fill clean 2-inch pots with the mix. Make a hole in the center of the mix with the blunt end of a pencil big enough so the seedling roots will fit into the hole.
Take a clump of three to four seedlings from the newspaper and fit the roots into the hole. Hold them in place with one hand. Use the pencil in the other hand to gently firm the potting mix around the seedlings. Don't pack the soil tightly and don't hurt the roots. Put the pot into a clean nursery flat.
Repeat until all seedling clumps are in pots in the flat. Put the flat in a spot that has light and temperature conditions similar to those the seedlings had while in their germination pot.
Wait a day to water the plants to allow any broken roots to heal. Water the plants thoroughly. After a few weeks, give the growing seedlings slightly brighter light. Keep the seedlings moist. Watch the seedling growth and prepare to separate them when the seedlings are about 2 inches tall or getting near the edges of the pot
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/raise-tric ... 44296.html
sage-borodin

Return to Cultivation