soundtracks for inward journeys

Share your photographs and visionary art here.

soundtracks for inward journeys

Postby entheogenic-gnosis » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:24 am

Last week I consumed 5.5 grams of stropharia cubensis, near the peak I entered a closed eyed journey into inner space. There was music playing for a good deal of this inward exploration (I believe it was "sphongle-meusem of consciousness") and this music greatly enhanced the experiance, in general when I consume psilocybe fungi I do it alone in near dark and near silence, though this experiance made me reconsider using music for the closed eye journeys.

I'm still going to stick to my traditional methods of inner-space exploration, however from time to time a journey enhanced by music may be benificial for my practice..

Can anyone recomend music that has been an enhancement tool for psychedelic exploration?

(Even good binarual beats and isochronic tones that have been used in combination with psilocybin or ayahuasca analogues would be of interest to me.)

Thanks,

-E. Borodin
entheogenic-gnosis

Re: soundtracks for inward journeys

Postby unsigned_char72 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:08 am

it's difficult to tell. I would discard brainwave entrainment sounds completely, they are disturbing and not effective, they are just not worth of.

I would avoid anything that has rhythm too (in particular anything that has drums), because it would distract too much with the risk of focusing on the music rather than the inner experience.

I don't have a particular title, but I would look into electronic music, something with deep spacey synth pads and progressive resonant filtred sounds. Another requisite is that the music doesn't have to make abrupt changes, it should be very soft and slow.
unsigned_char72

Postby entheogenic-gnosis » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:01 pm

For the most part I consume entheogens by myself in silence, and in a room that isn't very stimulating, or in near darkness, this way I can pay attention while exploring inner space, I consider my inner-space exploration sessions with entheogens to be a form of deep meditation and a crucial part of my spiritual practice.
However,
once a month I meet with a group of 8 other people to drink ayahuasca, one member, the shaman, plays drums and sings icaros during our session, while he does this his apprentice plays a flute. These songs are the method the shaman uses to guide the group, and I feel they greatly enhance the experiance.

Otherwise I agree with your advice.

As for brainwave entrainment I use isochronic tones and binaural beats in my meditation practice from time to time, its a nice break from counting breaths or some of the other more common techniques in meditation. I have never used them in combination with an entheogen but have been curious as to what would happen or if it would even be tolerable while on an entheogen.

Thank you for your response I appreciate your feedback,

-E. Borodin
entheogenic-gnosis

Postby unsigned_char72 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:30 pm

Among other things, I studied for long binaural beats and isochronic tones, I have even recorded my own EEG while listening to such sounds to see by myself if any trace of entrainment could be detected. The result of my experiments is that both binaural and isochronic don't leave a measurable trace on the EEG. That's why I stopped using them. On the contrary, visual stimulation (strobing lights/flashing goggles) leave a very noticeable sign on the EEG graph, showing that the light pulsation has actually been converted into brainwaves.

Another thing that "works" is slowing down your breath to 5-6 breaths per minute. If you do that, you'll see your own HRV (heart rate variability) magically turn into a sinusoidal wave (when plot on a graph). I could not believe it when I saw it by myself, but that's a fact, your HRV becomes sinusoidal if you breathe slowly. (I don't know exactly what are the implication of this, but I can guess why many meditation techniques insist on slow breathing).

I'm mentioning it because someone suggested to use a slow pulsating noise (as sea waves) as background music so it's easier to follow and maintain slow breathing while meditating.
unsigned_char72

Postby entheogenic-gnosis » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:28 am

Ive never done breathwork but I have heard some really interesting things, if you could recomend a good book or website that can serve as an introduction on the topic it would be much appreciated.

Ive heard mixed things about the binaural beats and isochronic tones, I still use them for meditation from time to time but have never taken them all that serious.

If you know of any other novel meditation forms or other forms of consciousness exploration that I may be able to incorporate into my spiritual or meditation practice, please feel free to suggest them.

What do you think about brain-machines?
( http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind_machine )

Ive done some experimenting with a dreamachine ( http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamachine ) and found it to be a fascinating piece of equipment, I was impressed with the visual intensity of the experiance, but have not been able to find a way to incorporate this machine into my spiritual practice.

-E. Borodin
entheogenic-gnosis

Postby unsigned_char72 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:21 am

Regarding breathwork, I've no experience at all, I've only studied how slow breathing changes your HRV (heart rate variability). Many years ago there was a lot of talking about a form of "heart meditation" so I studied it a little bit. You can start reading from here to make you an idea. Their claims are a bit exaggerate, but they are true about HRV.

Regarding the so called "mind-machines" (flashing goggles) this is my experience:

I've one of them (model "Sirius", a very basic one) and I can tell they are half effective in what they promise. They are NOT good in putting you in an altered state of mind of any sort, but yes, they are good at delivering visual hallucinations under the form of fractal patterns. Very strong and coloured geometric patterns, swirling and rotating around a pivot point located in the center of your visual field. The colors are very bright and saturated and sometimes the visual field expands beyond your peripheral vision with an amazing embracing-all effect.

The model I have has an option for alternating flashing light from one eyes to the other (instead of simple on/off) which changes slightly the perceived fractal pattern (now more "striped").

You can adjust the frequency: 5-7 Hz produce big red and deep blue fractals, around 10-15 Hz you get yellow/blue. The higher the frequency, the less fractals because I guess there is latency in the retina. You can go up to 25-30 Hz, beyond this the fractals become a tiny white flickering light.

You can use machine's programs where frequency is changed according to a schedule, or you can just have a fixed frequency running. Those machines have also binaural beats via earphones, but I usually leave audio turned off (because I find binaural tones disturbing).

When you end your flashing session, if you stay with eyes closed for another 5-10 minutes, you see that the "blackness" of your eyes has changed temporarily, now it's more even and plain like if it was washed. But that effect lasts no more than 10 minutes.

As I said in my previous message, I've recorded my EEG while using the goggles, and there is a strong trace in correspondence of the flashing frequency. This tells you that brainwaves are effected, but in my experience this does not result in a changed state of mind.

I've also briefly studied the flashing goggles after the use of Salvia Divinorum: the fractal patterns are somewhat distorted, they are more "salviesque".

Another thing that I remember is that flashing goggles are much less effective if used on the evening (e.g. before going to bed), I don't know the exact reason of it.

In conclusion, flashing goggles are amusing the first 2-3 times you use them, but soon you get heavily bored. Mostly because the flashing light itself is disturbing and it's not tolerated easily.

I've also some experience regarding neurofeedback machines and biofeedback (GSR/temperature), if you like we can talk about them too.
unsigned_char72

Postby entheogenic-gnosis » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:27 am

Thank you for all your feedback it is very much appreciated!
I was considering buying some "flashing-goggles" but the prices are quite high, it may be better to borrow a friends pair, specially if the novelty fades as fast as you say. ( I have a friend of a friend who has a pair and may let me use them)

I know nothing about neurofeedback machines and biofeedback, but would be very interested in learning, please feel free to tell me what you know on this topic, or recomend resources (books, websites, etc..)

Thank your again, you have been very informative and helpful,

-E. Borodin
entheogenic-gnosis

Postby unsigned_char72 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:05 pm

Regarding the goggles, it's a good idea if you can borrow them before buying. Alternatively, I think there are both mobile and desktop applications to make the PC screen or phone display flash at a specific frequency. (You would stare at the screen with eyes closed). I don't know if they are effective because a certain brightness is required to make fractals appear (the same brightness that makes the use of goggles disturbing). Check my post Ghetto flashing goggles.

As for neurofeedback machines (aka neuronal biofeedback), these are cheap but still expensive machines that are able to record your EEG with the aid of a computer. Not only this, with a specific software you can train yourself to entrain specific brainwaves at will. This can help for example to enter more easily deep meditative states. Anyway such machines are rather clumsy to use and not everyone is able to be "trained". Some people reported spiritual life changing experiences as side effect of the training, but that's is a rare event.

Basically you can be trained three types of brainwaves:
- theta frequency (~6Hz) associated with hypnagogic imagery and meditation
- alpha frequency (~10Hz) which is a very strong brainwave that occurs spontaneously on the occipital zone of the brain when you close your eyes.
- SMR frequency (13Hz on the SMR zone) associated with alertness and awareness.

It's all interesting stuff, but of course there's nothing you can't achieve without the machine. For example the SMR frequency training is nothing else that learning to be "awake" or "in the now". Once you know how to achieve it, you don't need the machine.

A cheap alternative to neurofeedback machines is a mere temperature sensor on your hands. You can train yourself to increase the temperature of your hands, a thing that can be done only if you relax completely (by vase dilatation). Basically you are training yourself to relax and to dive deeply into theta state. It's a very effective training, invented in the '70 by Dr. Elmer Green (search for "Beyond Biofeedback").

Of course there is a lot more than this, I just summarized.
unsigned_char72

Postby entheogenic-gnosis » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:02 pm

"A cheap alternative to neurofeedback machines is a mere temperature sensor on your hands. You can tra in yo ur s elf to incr ea se the tem per atur e of yo ur hands,...."

This reminds me of tummo meditation, or a video I saw of Tibetan monks at high altitude in below freezing weather performing "tummo " meditation, they wrap a wet cloth around their body and start to meditate, and like magic you can see steam rise off the monks bodies, the monks eventually dry the sheets with their body heat, I believe they spend the whole night with only the sheets and do not freeze.

Sorry if that was off topic.

Thank you for all the information regarding neurofrrdback machines, ive gone over it once quickly but intend to re-read it in depth after work. I appreciate all the information and feedback.

-EG
entheogenic-gnosis

Postby entheogenic-gnosis » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:04 pm

-E. Borodin
...not EG
entheogenic-gnosis

Return to Entheogen Images and Visionary Art