Voynich plant speculations

Share your photographs and visionary art here.

Voynich plant speculations

Postby sage-borodin » Sun May 14, 2017 7:54 am

I have reviewed botanists speculations relating actual plant features to plants in the Voynich manuscript, often giving an identification, and I was less than thrilled with the results.

I understand that these plant images were likely fictional, well, nobody really knows what they are, but that they likely do not represent actual plants, which is fine, however, just for fun I decided to compare voynich plant images to known psychoactive plants, and sure enough I found a few voynich images which match features of known plants, I actually think my identifications have more matching features to the images I paired them with than those presented by botanists. Though ultimately, there are no "perfect" matches.

(I am also aware that at the time period in which the manuscript was manufactured a new world plant like desmanthus leptolobus would not have been known, though there is a very slim possibility. It could even represent an old world acacia. Again, this is just for fun.

In the pictures below we can compare voynich manuscript plant image 115 to Desmanthus leptolobus.

(Because of the manner in which the site posts images it can be difficult to compare the two due to size variations, however, if one could compare these images side by side in relative size to one another, things become quite a bit more clear. )
Attachments
Forb261-4.jpg
Desmanthus leptolobus
Forb261-4.jpg (32.06 KiB) Viewed 328 times
manuscrito115.jpg
Voynich plant depiction
manuscrito115.jpg (257.24 KiB) Viewed 328 times
sage-borodin

Re: Voynich plant speculations

Postby sage-borodin » Sun May 14, 2017 8:16 am

Below I compare voynich plant image #49 to catha eudulis.

catha eudulis is an old world plant which contains beta-keto amphetamine alkaloids.
Attachments
Catha edulis 3.JPG
Catha eudulis
Catha edulis 3.JPG (61.27 KiB) Viewed 327 times
Catha edulis 1.gif
Catha eudulis
Catha edulis 1.gif (38.72 KiB) Viewed 327 times
manuscrito049.jpg
Voynich plant image #49
manuscrito049.jpg (195.53 KiB) Viewed 327 times
sage-borodin

Return to Entheogen Images and Visionary Art