Conventionally religious?

Here is the place to discuss philosophy, religion, and spirituality.
god_is_good

Conventionally religious?

Post by god_is_good » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:15 pm

I am a new member and this is my first post. I registered with this forum because I am curious about a question that I have had little success answering on the internet. My question is: are there people out there who have had an entheogenic experience that has caused them to become conventionally religious? Is there anyone out there who has started attending church, mosque, temple or synagogue because of what they experienced? I have had a powerful experience under the influence of mushrooms that seems to fit William James' description of a "conversion." I have since taken up meditation (mindfulness of breathing), and it seems to enhance my religious feelings: sudden empathy for total strangers, a desire to live a life of service, and a rejoicing in God's glory and benevolence. I am constantly looking at vocation web sites for monks, both Christian and Buddhist. I am seriously considering starting to be a regular church attendant. I also seem to have minor, spontaneous "trips" sometimes. Is this a pattern anyone else has experienced?

unsigned_char72

Re: Conventionally religious?

Post by unsigned_char72 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:39 am

I guess that's pretty normal to become more religious after a spiritual experience.

Anyway don't expect to make your experience more deep or meaningful by becoming a regular church attendant. My advice is to keep stick to your meditation practice. You are reaping the benefits of it and that alone can motivate you to continue.

Increase the time you meditate. Cut out unnecessary activities and do meditation instead. That's why monks become monks, to not be distracted and have more time to meditate (or "pray"). Do not do just sitting meditation alone, extend it into daily activities. Mindfulnesses of breath is ok, but it's considered only introductory. Instead, be mindful of yourself, of your awareness. Watch yourself, remember of your self, remember that you are.

god_is_good

Post by god_is_good » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:30 am

Interesting advice. I currently meditate for about 40 minutes a day, and I will probably stop increasing it when I reach an hour. I have read some reports of adverse psychiatric reactions to over meditation. It also seems that, traditionally, spiritual practices were undertaken in a teacher/student relationship in case stuff like that came up. In short, I would like to get what I get from entheogens in a more sustained way through spiritual practice, and it seems like seeking out a community is a good way to do that. Some of the minor, spontaneous "trips" I mention have come after visiting a religious community or religious site!

Flapjack

Post by Flapjack » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:14 pm

If you want to go to church just go.

Rumpelforeskin

Post by Rumpelforeskin » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:43 pm

Flapjack attracted all these fuckers god damn beaner

Flapjack

Post by Flapjack » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:18 am

I think that entheogens could possibly influence someone to become conventionally religious. However, I think that once they become conventionally religious, they would have to stop using entheogens.