We Must Destroy The Machines!!!

Here is the place to discuss philosophy, religion, and spirituality.
kedabra

Re: We Must Destroy The Machines!!! -

Post by kedabra » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:38 pm

Flapjack wrote:MACHINES!!! Light bulbs are evil and ships are evil. Knitting, rollerskating, wheelchairs, spoons, shoes, and irrigation are okay. I would consider those tools and devices rather than machines. This revolution will take place eventualy. We can not live forever.
what about canoes? what about fishing boats? what type of boats are evil? what about oil lamps, is that ok? eskimoes use seal oil lamps , and they hunt with canoes.

if irrigation was stealing all the water from your neighbour , is that ok? where do i get the metal to make a wheelchair? can i make shoes out of dead children? is that ok?

what is the difference between a tool, and a machine? light bulbs are machines? why? what about a miners lamp? thats a tool isn't it? are we allowed to mine?

what about a floating wheelchair? can i go to sea in a giant shoe, with knitted sails? AM I EVIL?
Last edited by kedabra on Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flapjack

Post by Flapjack » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:07 pm

A machine is any device that uses energy to perform some activity. This does not count human energy.

If you can make something without plugging something into a wall or pouring some sort of fuel into something inorder to make it than it is not evil and you are spared from eternal damnation. You can make a boat with simple tools. An oil lamp may be okay, but Im not sure. Light bulbs are forbidden.
Last edited by Flapjack on Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zubsza

Post by zubsza » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:25 pm

how about batteries then? like just some zinc and copper in some salt water? Is electron exchange EEEEEEEVVVVVVIILLLL?

...how about a potato battery? would that be evil?

jbmac

Post by jbmac » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:36 pm

Yep, Nothing is good or bad - it is how it is used, and your perspective that
makes it good or bad. But unlike anything else in the last 300 years - only science helped humanity. There were brief times in history where governments helped the human condition, but ultimately discovering what makes nature tick, leads to copying nature to help humans. Worship nature, science, and technology, as they must be kept strong to help our own species and all others.
Religion tends to slow down science and progress, I've noted by observation.

Flapjack

Post by Flapjack » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:40 pm

zubsza wrote:how about batteries then? like just some zinc and copper in some salt water? Is electron exchange EEEEEEEVVVVVVIILLLL?

...how about a potato battery? would that be evil?
A potato battery I believe stores energy so I do not think that would qualify as a machine. Just think of the indians. We could live normaly with no machines.

We should have a balance of machinery and nature if we were to keep the machines, but we dont. I guess we will see if we ever do.
Last edited by Flapjack on Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Solomon

Post by Solomon » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:08 pm

And die of trivial infections and in our 30s or 40's? widespread diseases and all that jazz,maybe some famine thrown in there...sounds good,you can go do that yourself,many generations of scientists and people put their all into things we take for granted today that have helped us in so many ways,has its bad sides obviosuly but the good outweighs it.

zubsza

Post by zubsza » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:17 pm

A potato battery I believe stores energy so I do not think that would qualify as a machine.
depends on what you mean by "store energy" I guess...

A jar filled with salt water with peices of zinc and copper in it make a battery. There is energy being "used"/produced...and not human energy. Just electron exchange...the potato battery is exactly the same only the potato is working as the source of electrolites rather than the salt water...

so in that sense the potato is storing energy...when used as a battery (generaly by pushing peices or zinc and copper into the potato) it produces electricity through electron exchange...

So science and nature come together here IMO...there are more examples of this...I think you tread a fine line with this thread haha...

In fact I would assert that science is often simply the ordered observation of nature...and that the use of "technology"(tools) is a part of our "nature."
Last edited by zubsza on Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flapjack

Post by Flapjack » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:28 pm

No one uses a potato battery or anything natural like that because it doesnt produce enough energy. Even solar power and wind power do not make enough energy to run a city. Those are blending nature and machines, but they are not powerful enough to sustain our endless hunger.

The new thing is natural gas, but that doesnt solve the entire problem. It just fixes a small portion of it. A battery does not have adverse effects on the environment and does not harm anyone. You ever watch a train and how much coal it is hauling each day? It is disgusting. I think the negatives outway the positives of machines. Its only a matter of time before all the negatives catch up to us.
It is karma and it will go down.

Your all robots. I digress.
Last edited by Flapjack on Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kedabra

Post by kedabra » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:10 am

Flapjack wrote:
Your all robots. I digress.
I guess you'll have to kill us all to create your perfect society then

and you still haven't said why you are using a computer and the internet to spread this revolutionary anti technological idea. is it because you are incredibly naive and hypocritical?
or is it a very clever trojan horse type of thing, like suddenly everyone will smash up the internet, and we'll all be happy forever type of idea?

Did you in fact poach this idea wholesale from Xavier Renegade Angel?

Jupe

Post by Jupe » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:51 am

reprogram the DNA...not a bad idea...AI would probably "prefer" to insert the human destruct sequence...8-)