Jungian psychology and the Psychedelic experience

Here is the place to discuss philosophy, religion, and spirituality.

Jungian psychology and the Psychedelic experience

Postby Bardo-sojourn » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:48 am

I actually have a good deal to say on this topic and plan on expanding the thread by making future posts.

I was smoking cannabis, and it triggered the thought process below, so I thought I should write it down.

Cannabis always triggers these sessions of deep thought on all topics, from math to history to psychology... (and people say "cannabis makes you dumb", in my case cannabis inspires thought and focus, which brings up my next point, these same people say "cannabis makes you lazy", yet I find it hard to work without it, from paper work and reading to hard labor, cannabis always enhances my will to work and allows me to be more productive. )

Speaking of math, this has always interested me, specially after smoking a good deal of cannabis, ok, 9, its a pretty cool number, check this out, if I write 0123456789 going upwards, and then next to it write 0123456789 going downwards it looks like this:
Ok, so it creates all the multiples of 9, here is the next fun part and interesting aspect of this, every multiple of 9 equals 9 when added together! For example:
0+9=9
1+8=9
2+7=9
3+6=9
4+5=9
5+4=9
6+3=9
7+2=9
8+1=9
9+0=9

Ok, enough messing around, , back to Jungian psychology and the psychedelic experience:
Probably influenced by Eastern philosophies and religions, Jung adopted a dualistic framework of positive psychology. Jung (1933) recognized that duality is the fact of human nature: “Every good quality has its bad side, and nothing that is good can come into the world without directly producing a corresponding evil. This is a painful fact” (p. 199). One example of this duality is that we cannot achieve wholeness without integrating the dark side of the self.

The archetype of the Self represents the center of the psyche and is commonly expressed by the symbol of a Mandela. The Self signifies wholeness, the product of integrating the consciousness and unconscious aspects of the psyche through individuation. One cannot actualize selfhood without getting in touch with the Shadow, the archetype of the dark and rejected parts of the self.

The Shadow contains the libido, forbidden feelings such as lust and rage. The Shadow wants to be acknowledged and brought into consciousness. Jungian analysts Zweig and Wolf (1997) point out if we embrace and “romance” the Shadow, we will channel it to productive use and gain access to vitality and creativity.
http://www.drpaulwong.com/the-depth-pos ... carl-jung/

Jungian analysts Zweig and Wolf (1997) point out if we embrace and “romance” the Shadow, we will channel it to productive use and gain access to vitality and creativity.

When Ann Shulgin will participate in MDMA therapy sessions she will encourage one to "become the monster", she will have you visualize seeing through the monsters eyes...

This is the Jungian "embracing the shadow", due to the duality of man, one can not experience wholeness without also embracing the dark side of their being.

Combining this concept of wholeness with the MDMA experience was an amazing concept, a bit of a risk, but an amazing concept, and if you talked to the people that Ann shulgin has helped with these techniques you will find that they are quite effective.

I am quite surprised that Jungian psychology has not embraced psychedelics for use in therapy, it's obviously quite effective as Ann shulgin has demonstrated, and while I can not recall her specifically mentioning Jung it's clear that Jungian psychology must have been an influence.

Terence mckenna comments on this exact topic:

(Who ever transcribed the excerpt from the Terence mckenna lecture below did a shit job, there are tons of misspelled words, I corrected some of it, but it got exhausting, one of the corrections I had to make was the name of jung's home town, which was spelled "bosal", I'm not sure how one manages to misspell the name of a well known Swiss town which is near the boarders of france and Germany, regardless, it was a headache, after making a few corrections I decided I would just post the transcription as is and post a note regarding the typos and misspelled words. )

i am slightly puzzled, and we were talking about it last night, at the distance between the jungian community and the psychedelic community - because they seem to me the unschooled observer to be definitely sharing the same concerns and strangely enough they share much of the same history and geography Basel was of course jungs home town, it was albert hoffmans home town
did one half of town know what the other half was doing (audience laughter) i'm not sure, um that the relationship to jung to the unconscious - to the collective unconscious as it's discoverer has been always somewhat puzzling to me because of course if you know the history of 20th century art you know that da da which was the great prefigurative movement for surrealism rose in zuorichso you know we got LSD and the schools of modern art that laid great stress on the irrational and the great schools of psychology that extended the boundaries of the unconscious, all rappelling around in these little swiss towns. and it's interesting to imagine conversations or meetings that might have taken place when people slightly left there ordinary habits and wandered into bars they didn't know and drank with people they never met before
because jung provided maps of the unconscious
and at 16 when we were beginning to experiment with this and let me stress this was before the great social waves of LSD taking of the 1960s just preceding that from about 1963-65 we were frantic for maps of the unconscious and fried was useless i meant he notion that the contents of the psychedelic experience could be reduced to what fried called day residues and repressed sexual desire - didn't wash within 10-minutes you could tell that was not a serviceable metaphor jung on the other hand offered a vast uh pantheon of uh gods and archetypes and psychic complexes forgotten or abandoned
i mean i thought of jung basically as what i call a noetic archeologist, someone who goes with toothbrush and nutpick to dig away the detritus from the bones of vanished idea systems
and if any of you have read the complete - the works of jung in the bulling set
you know that the richness of it all is in the footnotes i mean her was a man who raised the footnote to a high art and who was aware f a literature to my mind that no one seemed to know about that Jungs references reach a thousand years deep into the past with great density of reference this is where i learned about mechrobius and dosephius and dionysus the pseudo areopica and all those other folks that you just never hear aboutit was my introduction to the underbelly of western civilization was through jung

Damn, sorry, again, whoever transcribed that did an awful job, I am going to find a better transcription and repost it.
Bardo-sojourn

Return to Philosophy and Spirituality