Backlash Against Terence McKenna

This is where to discuss the legality of entheogens, entheogen law, anarchy, politics, etc.

Backlash Against Terence McKenna

Postby burningmouth » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:50 pm

Well, 12-21-2012 is now behind us, and accordingly, there is now an ongoing reevaluation of Terence McKenna’s take on the Mayan calendar endpoint singularity.

While I don’t have a link that allows us to hear from Terence’s own mouth, I believe he thought that there would be a reversal in the universe where mind would triumph over matter, and human beings would enter a new transcendental dimension. This would occur once the ever expanding and ever increasing knowledge base of human intelligence (with the help of technology) ramped up to a fever pitch thus creating the singularity.

The eschatological event did not transpire as Terence predicted, and now people are posting on the internet why and how he got it wrong.

I have always been a big fan of Mckenna. I started listening to him in the early 80s on KPFK out of Los Angeles. The guy blew my mind. I still believe that his idea of the ‘transcendental object at the end of time’ might be true (as long as there is no temporal line drawn in the sand).

I just discovered the site ‘gnostic media.com’ hosted by Jan Irvin. It contains several podcasts that you can listen to. I have a hard time listening to Jan's voice. He speaks in a kind of nerd monotone that sounds harsh and joyless. Here is a link where he interviews Dr. Martin Ball.
http://www.gnosticmedia.com/martin-ball ... myths-154/
Some of you are already familiar with Ball’s website. Ball and Irvin discuss Terence. They are of the opinion that Terence McKenna and Carlos Castaneda are bullshit artists. Listen to the podcast and decide for yourself. Irvin claims that the Esalen Institute at Big Sur has a shady past.

They also talk about 5 meo DMT. Ball states that A true entheogenic experience is non dual, and any experience which contains beings or vistas or concepts is dual and ego based. Ball says that Terence's trip reports and storytelling is mostly ego based. Maybe he's right about that, but I have a minor problem with Ball .........

Ball is a proponent of the nondual nature of Buddhism. What Ball needs to realize is that only a fraction of humans (IF ANY AT ALL) have ever experienced non duality -- and that includes Buddhist monks !!! The realization of non duality is probably as unapproachable as the art of levitation. A lot of meditators throw around the notion of non duality as if the human brain/mind can easily acclimate to it and realize it. The realization of non duality might be delusory in the same way that having Jesus in your heart is delusory. To believe that 5 meo DMT can lead to the realization of non duality might just be naive wishful thinking.

Whether Ball likes it or not, we live in a dualistic world; and we need not discount our ability to think in dualistic terms and to trip using dualistic motifs.
Last edited by burningmouth on Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:47 pm, edited 6 times in total.
burningmouth

Re: Backlash Against Terence McKenna

Postby Flapjack » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:21 am

It's easy for me to write him off as another new age con artist now. Especially after reading Drunvalo Melkizedek, who is most definitly a fraud. I remember Mckenna talking about some photon belt or something which doesn't even exist. I remember he talked about planetary alignment and aligning with the center of the universe also, which doesn't happen either and are all products of psuedoscience. Him and Melkizedek did talk about similar things, only Melkizedek was more focused on some vague sex magic Merkaba meditation. It all had to do with this age of enlightenment and the coming of Jesus

Just look at David Icke, he makes a living selling bullshit. He even said he was Jesus. That's weird, I don't remember sacrificing David Icke at any point in his life. Do you? David Icke is a blood sacrifice? No, the guy does well for himself. It's called a scam. How could anyone be Jesus that makes no sense.

Not saying McKenna is David Icke, but they are similar.
Flapjack

Postby burningmouth » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:04 am

Flapjack wrote:Just look at David Icke, he makes a living selling bullshit. He even said he was Jesus. That's weird, I don't remember sacrificing David Icke at any point in his life. Do you? David Icke is a blood sacrifice? No, the guy does well for himself. It's called a scam. How could anyone be Jesus that makes no sense.

Not saying McKenna is David Icke, but they are similar.

I watched a David Icke youtube video and I wasn't much impressed. However, I do believe that the elites are controlling the masses, but I think the conspiracy guys sometimes go a little overboard.

Jan Irvin really goes after Gordon Wasson, a so called pioneer of the psychedelic experience. Wasson was apparently connected to the CIA and connected to high level members of the banking industry, etc. Irvin has a podcast devoted to his deconstruction of Wasson.

Irvin apparently believes that the Esalen Institute might have been part of a government sponsored psy-op activity whereby new age hippies were manipulated by some kind of mind control. My question is: Why the hell would the govt be interested in a bunch of laid back hippies? The only answer I can come up with is that the psychedelic experience contains secret information that the government doesn't want the masses to know about. But really -- I can't imagine a bunch of government employees and J. P. Morgan types knowing jack shit about entheogenic experiences. I must admit though that during my salvia journeys, I oftentimes came to the conclusion that humans are being manipulated by forces outside our terrestrial limits. If human elites can manipulate the unenlightened masses, then that would logically imply that non terrestrial beings (if they exist) also are into manipulation tactics. Maybe that's why the government is keeping close tabs on entheogen users. It's all about manipulation and mind control.

##UPDATE##

I'm listening to a podcast titled ' Jan Irvin - Gordon Wasson & the Secret History - Red Ice Radio'. In the podcast Irvin makes the ludicrous claim that the 'British Invasion' was orchestrated by some secret 'mind control' agency, and that John Lennon was assassinated because he was waking up to the fact that he was a stooge to mind controllers.

This sounds way over the top to me. Does every God Damned shooting have to be part of a conspiracy? Now there's stuff on the net saying that the school shooting in Connecticut was planned by the elites.

Shit. Now Pierce Morgan allows Alex Jones on his CNN show giving Jones some legitimacy. The interview is on youtube. Until now Alex Jones had been safely kept underground. Now he's out in the open, and all his over the top conspiracy theories will be picked up by disenfranchised, uneducated, and fully armed Americans.
Fuck it. "Where's My Bourbon?"
burningmouth

Postby burningmouth » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:44 pm

Jan Irvin mentioned the 'Tavistock Institute'. It was this institute that was supposedly involved with the Beatles. Here's an excerpt from a non Irvin source about the connection:

The Beatles were also part of the mass experimentation that contemporary society was being subjected to by the CIA, Britain’s MI6 and the Tavistock Institute utilizing extraordinarily powerful mind-altering psychedelic/psychotropic drugs.

More than most of the other boys in the band, John Lennon became increasingly aware not only of the extent of corruption, co-opting and infiltration of the counterculture — most CERTAINLY including the rock music scene — by these same covert government intelligence elements.

Lennon was also aware than one of the “big guns” in the CIA/Tavistock/MI6 arsenal, LSD, had been having effect upon the population groups to which it had been funneled so extensively that was most unexpected on the part of the social manipulators–and to a large extent the effect was rather positive and beneficial.

Shortly before Lennon’s death at the hands of what beyond the faintest glimmer of a shadow a doubt was a mind-controlled, “Manchurian Candidate” type assassin deployed by Tavistock/CIA/MI6, Mark Chapman to terminate a “loose cannon”, Lennon had the audacity to massively and blatantly “out” the aforementioned consortium in a Playboy interview — in which he made note of LSD’s completely unforeseen liberating impact upon human society and civilization–pretty much thumbing his nose at the whole bunch and their whole trip; AND indicating as well that he was aware of the extent to which he and other pop musicians had been set up–to be used as dupes in massive social manipulation schemes.

Shortly afterward, New World Order head honcho and Satanist, globalist, CIA chief and Tavistock underling vice-president George Bush had Lennon slaughtered on the streets of new York; where he died in the arms of someone that a number of sources claim was the monarch agent deployed by MI6/CIA to keep the exceptionally intelligent Lennon constantly gravitating toward the social fringe; thereby keeping his potential influence at least minimized — Yoko Ono. That’s NOT to say that even IF this last supposition is true, that genuine love and a fulfilling relationship did not exist between the two and that Yoko’s “programming”, just like John’s, broke up and fell apart.

http://afteramerica.wordpress.com/2012/ ... institute/

Ahh.....
Aren't conspiracies great? All I have to do is Google a name and some conspiracy page shows up.

So I guess this means that Miley Cyrus is a CIA plant also. I mean, it couldn't have been an accident that she was videoed smoking salvia. I guess she's a FreeMason too.
burningmouth

Postby Metanoian » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:07 am

Terence does not seem to me to be a con artist. He was a great pioneer for consciousness and the responsible use of entheogens.

If you listen to someone for long enough, eventually you're going to disagree with them about something. Everyone has differing beliefs. I think a lot of what Terence spoke and wrote about was very inspiring and worth while to listen to.

No one can be right all the time, we're imperfect human beings.
Pulled and kneaded like salt water taffy.

Interconnecting peoploids, like tinker toy ferris wheels, rotating counterclockwise for eternity.
Metanoian

Postby kedabra » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:11 am

Ive read a few of his books, they ranged from pseudoscientific to psychotic, but its his spoken words which he should be remembered for. He was a great poet , ranter, storyteller who managed to convey a genuine infectious sense of awe about the possibilities of existence. His theories were tripping over each other, most would work better as science fiction than theory or prophecy. I wish salvia had a Mckenna....

5g in silent darkness- thats one thing he got right though...
kedabra

Postby Jupe » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:20 pm

yeah, Terrence was a great speaker and storyteller, ....helped balance out the other side...

Wasson, was a banker, but he got interested in amatuer mycology, really thought it was the root of human culture....his books are next to impossible to buy, real collectors items...."Mushrooms, Russia, and History"..haha what a title!!! He also was involved with Albert Hoffman and the bringing of Salvia divinorum up from Mexico, hence that strain named Hoffman/Wasson.

Occams Razor is what i use to try and sort these things out. :mrgreen:
Jupe

Postby ZeroCult » Fri May 10, 2013 1:48 pm

In my fiew of conspiracy theory (especially fringe), the ''lore'' of a particular theory isnt usually what the writer intends to converge, often the lore is just a prop on the stage, actually meant to be disregarded in order for the political, religious or moral message to be inplanted. Take for instance the classic UFO conspiracy lore, where you generally have two alien factions, one with good intentions (plaedians) and one with bad intentions (greys). What is meant to stick isnt the description of these races or the storys of what they have been up to, its the thesis that there are two basic directions in evolution. The plaedians have evolved towards true individuals, because they havent forsaken moral for power and a temporary speedup/freeing of intelect. The greys have, and as a result they have become borg like. Hive minded creatures of pure rationality, directed by artificial pleasure and pain dispenced by a supercomputer. As a result the greys have lost their spiritual facultys, while the plaedians expanded those. So what is meant to stick is an almost religious view of the paths of evolution, thereby altering or enforcing what somebody considers proper social/political and economic behaviour.
So if i was a conspiracy writer that wanted to use an ''exiting'' story to imprint my readers with a certain fiew, but dont want to burden my readers with a bunch of bullshit they semi-believe for too long, the 2012 lore seems quite usefull, as starting 2013 pretty mutch everyone will disregard the lore, but if they altered their outlook on a deeper level then that will probably stick. I think its also worth mentioning that many/all conspiracy writers have a goal of bringing about a revolution, and in their plans for this usually generational dynamics takes a central place. In generational dynamics the goal is ''intersecting the trajectory'' of the new generation. And ofcourse this new generation is defined by mass access to the internet. Now many revolutionairy factions agree that from roughly 2002 the great majority of the youth had acces to the internet and therefor this year is the starting point in their plans to intersect the trajectory of this generation. I think it is also worth mentioning that early 2002 the conspiracy community had its greatests new influx of people interested in their theories due to the events of 9/11/2001. Now obviously their plan runs in stages, and obviously 2013 is the beginning of the next stage. (ill stop at that as i ''support the conspiracy'')
so what im trying to say here is mckenna (who ofc didnt really know about how/when the internet would develop) probably (hopefully) didnt care so mutch about the lore of the maya 2012 conspiracy and was instead interested in using an exiting story to draw in more people and instilling ideas and ideals somewhat subversivly, more precisely, what conspiracy theory writers are trying to do isnt so mutch establishing (permanently) a new lore, but to make people question the commonly established lore, as tought in the public school system and MSM. Like Jupe says above me, to ''balance out the other side'' Ofcourse the great ''Phun'' in the maya lore is that maya in sanskrit means the illusion of reality AKA the matrix. The primary controlling force of this matrix is ofcourse the mainstream media who's primary agent is television. Television will have to change its format in the next decade (hopefully creating oppurtunity) or its relevance will quickly decline in comparison to the internet.
ZeroCult

Return to Politically Incorrect