second cold medicine purchase violated drug laws

This is where to discuss the legality of entheogens, entheogen law, anarchy, politics, etc.
Maslow

second cold medicine purchase violated drug laws -

Post by Maslow » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:03 pm

Only in the land of the free and the brave could something stupid like this happen.

http://www.tribstar.com/local/local_...246225916.html

Wabash Valley woman didn’t realize second cold medicine purchase violated drug laws

By Lisa Trigg
The Tribune-Star

CLINTON — When Sally Harpold bought cold medicine for her family back in March, she never dreamed that four months later she would end up in handcuffs.

Now, Harpold is trying to clear her name of criminal charges, and she is speaking out in hopes that a law will change so others won’t endure the same embarrassment she still is facing.

“This is a very traumatic experience,” Harpold said.

Harpold is a grandmother of triplets who bought one box of Zyrtec-D cold medicine for her husband at a Rockville pharmacy. Less than seven days later, she bought a box of Mucinex-D cold medicine for her adult daughter at a Clinton pharmacy, thereby purchasing 3.6 grams total of pseudoephedrine in a week’s time.

Those two purchases put her in violation of Indiana law 35-48-4-14.7, which restricts the sale of ephedrine and pseudoephedrine, or PSE, products to no more than 3.0 grams within any seven-day period.

When the police came knocking at the door of Harpold’s Parke County residence on July 30, she was arrested on a Vermillion County warrant for a class-C misdemeanor, which carries a sentence of up to 60 days in jail and up to a $500 fine.

jbmac

Re: second cold medicine purchase violated drug laws -

Post by jbmac » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:52 pm

Yes, I refuse to buy "cough medicine" that has both a cough suppressant and an expectorant in the same medicine. It defies common sense. I take them separately, first an expectorant to cough up productively - then a suppressant to prevent coughs and sore throats. That's common sense. If they make it too hard to buy cough medicine - people will turn to prescription stuff. Too bad safe, effective things are kept off the market - but you want Tylenol with your cold medicine, that's ok?

Maslow

Post by Maslow » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:29 am

Too bad safe, effective things are kept off the market - but you want Tylenol with your cold medicine, that's ok?
yeah...it's really good for your liver.

Kadakuda

Post by Kadakuda » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:27 pm

it amazes me they even want to spend the time and resources on such a thing...not only moronic, but just simply wasteful.

merlin 21
Location: California and up in my head, not necessarily in that order

Post by merlin 21 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:32 pm

Kadakuda wrote:it amazes me they even want to spend the time and resources on such a thing...not only moronic, but just simply wasteful.
I've never been involved in the manufacture of meth, but it's hard for me to imagine that anyone ever did so by going from drugstore to drugstore, purchasing psuedoephederine (sp?) tablets at RETAIL prices. Maybe I'm wrong, but every bust I ever read about involved those tablets purchased at the wholesale level in bulk, or the chemical itself in it's unpackaged raw form.

I imagine some people have fooled around in their kitchen with allergy tablets, more or less for "fun", but it doesn't seem like a commercially viable way to obtain chemicals for large scale drug manufacture.

That would make this just another "feel good" law passed by idiots in the Legislature so they can go back to their Districts and tell the (other) idiots that they are "doing something" about the Meth heads who are stealing their cars.

Or am I wrong? I really don't know.

keeper of toast

Post by keeper of toast » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:24 pm

exactly.

Its gonna take a hell of a lot more than two boxes of 10mg nasal decongestant to make any viable amount of meth. But no, everyone's noses are going to run. And if you really want to stretch things, people will be more miserable/irritable, and less efficient. and so the economy suffers

lol

jbmac

Post by jbmac » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:28 pm

Yep, it's so amazing how far the 100.000000000% removal of meth from the streets - the same drug that used to be over the counter and given free on train and airplane rides, always used in wars, that seemed to not cause much trouble till it was made illegal.

DayLight
Location: wherein once it is seen, twice felt and the third time is the charm. love. serpents. awe and wonder.

Post by DayLight » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:24 pm

merlin 21 wrote:I've never been involved in the manufacture of meth, but it's hard for me to imagine that anyone ever did so by going from drugstore to drugstore, purchasing psuedoephederine (sp?) tablets at RETAIL prices. Maybe I'm wrong, but every bust I ever read about involved those tablets purchased at the wholesale level in bulk, or the chemical itself in it's unpackaged raw form.
people did in fact do just this. oftentimes the medication was stolen, which is why many stores, before any regulation on the substance, had it put behind the pharmacy counter or in a locked cabinet with the cigarettes.

go from drugstore to drugstore until youve bought and stolen all the pseudoephedrine containing meds in town....fun times for all im sure.

minderbinder

Post by minderbinder » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:07 pm

That would make this just another "feel good" law passed by idiots in the Legislature so they can go back to their Districts and tell the (other) idiots that they are "doing something" about the Meth heads who are stealing their cars.
ha haa, that's what all these people do all around the world - lulling "the other idiots" without touching the real business :D
Bhagwan told me not to worry. If i do it'll make me sorry. Alright.

TheNomad

Post by TheNomad » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:25 pm

These laws, while intending to curtail a serious problem in many areas, had an unintended consequence...

The streets were flooded with even more meth of higher purity, from more well organized, ruthless organized syndicates, from Mexico and elsewhere...

-Matthew