Creationism vs evolution

This is where to discuss the legality of entheogens, entheogen law, anarchy, politics, etc.
oaxaca

Creationism vs evolution -

Post by oaxaca » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:30 pm

Does anyone have an opinion on whether creationism should be taught in schools or not? Do you think it will just confuse kids as to the distinctions between religion and science (some might say fiction and fact) ??? :)

Foxglove

Re: Creationism vs evolution -

Post by Foxglove » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:37 pm

Im not savvy on exactly what creationism is all about.

I am assuming it is the theory that "God" created the universe.

Personally, I think 100% that the separation of Church and State should be upheld.

I supose that is a typical American response. How do they handle such things over in Jolly ol' England?

crazydewman

Post by crazydewman » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:52 pm

in the US, separation of church and state for sure in the public schools. but if you are paying for it then you can pay them to teach you whatever the hell you want.

and yea, i beleive its "god did it"

sunsnail

Post by sunsnail » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:17 pm

Definitely not in a science classroom. If they were to setup a world religions class, and did not focus on solely the Christian creation story, then that would be a different story.

Enlighten me

Post by Enlighten me » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:20 pm

Idealy, public and or private schools shouldn't exist. children should learn from their care takers. IMO.

be well,
Keith

entheobotanist

Post by entheobotanist » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:30 pm

sunsnail wrote:If they were to setup a world religions class, and did not focus on solely the Christian creation story, then that would be a different story.
i think that would be a great idea! not pushing any religion, just studying an aspect of humanity.

i dont understand why christianity (in general, of course) believes they have a monopoly on the creationism theory. they back it up by saying lots of scientists think that the universe was created by a God, but that does not mean their God. i think in light of the actuality of there being scientists who theorize that God is the source, that should be mentioned in science class. its a bonafide theory just like evolution. both sides claim 'evidence.' i dont believe this is pushing any sort of religious agenda or crossing the boundaries of church and state. now, if it was taught only from a christian perspective, that is not a scientific theory, it is a faith. of course, there is a fine line when speaking about God in a scientific arena but there is no problem explaining that it is a theory about an energy or higher life-form that creates. getting into specifics about God is combining church and state.

i really dont understand why there even is such a battle between creationism and evolution. thats my confusion. your kind of insulting God when you say 'oh, hes all powerful, but he kept it simple cuz he doesnt have much of an imagination.' i mean which is more amazing: God created a non-changing world with one creative stroke or that God created a world that is continually being created. your kinda limiting Gods power by saying the former. meh, its an insult either way when you claim you know Gods workings more than God does.

to reiterate, i think a world religions class would be very beneficial. i see no reason students should not be made aware of everything. the seperation of church and state kept the children dumb about islam until our propaganda machine told them what it was. except, of course, the lucky ones who got to hear all the propaganda from their fucked up parents.

entheobotanist

Post by entheobotanist » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:32 pm

Enlighten me wrote:Idealy, public and or private schools shouldn't exist. children should learn from their care takers. IMO.
island anyone? care to go rock climbing and then eat some cubes? now that was a solid educaton system.

zubsza

Post by zubsza » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:08 pm

It should not be taught in the public school system...as most everyone else has mentioned - seperation of church and state...
Idealy, public and or private schools shouldn't exist. children should learn from their care takers. IMO.
I agree with you to some degree, but I don't really know about that... that would have the possibility to eliminate some problems with the current system, however it opens the door for plenty of new ones...

For instance, it sounds fine for the upperclass that can afford to either stay at home and teach their children or pay someone to do it (but whats the point then). Sounds shitty for economicly depressed individuals that have two working parent household that could not afford to pay someone to teach their children. What about children with disabled parents? What about parents with disabled children. Should kids with stupid parents be doomed to also be stupid? etc.

A better solution would be to actualy fund the public school system on a level that it could function properly. For instance how about just simply providing teachers with enough CURRENT text books for everyone in their classrooms. I recently went back to my school and was horrified to see that they were using the same texts as when I was in school ten years ago...and they were probably about 10 years old at that point...plus they can not even check out copies to the students as there are not enough for everyone. We're talking history books that stills show maps of the USSR...

I have always proposed that professional athletes and public school teachers should exchange saleries. If we actualy paid public school techers more than $25,000 a year maybe there would be a more competitive market that would draw more talented and dedicated individuals to pursue and hold those jobs. I'm not trying to discredit any current dedicated and talented techers out there now, but for fucks sake whats more important a football game or your childs education?
Last edited by zubsza on Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

salvia_explorer

Post by salvia_explorer » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:05 pm

Everything Zubsza said...I agree 100%.

And give scholarships to scholastic acheivers, not to kids based on their ability to play with a ball!!!

No religious crap like creationism in public schools either...otherwise...who's religious b.s. should we teach? You wanna beleive in that stuff...fine, but you have zero right to insist that it gets taught to everyone elses kids in school.
Damn religious zealots want to shove their shit down everyone elses throats.

Spend money on our children, in our schools, not billions on destroying and then rebuilding Iraq! What a f'd up country we live in.

SE

crazydewman

Post by crazydewman » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:10 pm

it wouldnt matter if you gave the schools money. kids still wont read, kids still wont learn. after all, thats not what the people on the tv, in the movies or in the shitty music they listen to do. its sex and drugs and violence. then go work instead of doing homework because money is so important when you are young, not education. you have to buy buy buy. the schools arent the problem. they are a side-effect. there is a much deeper problem, and only something like 2012 will solve it. that or Idiocracy will end up happening.