Sensitivity and Psychedelics

This is the place to discuss issues pertaining to mental health.
Forum rules
All information posted in this forum is the opinion of the member posting it and should not be used as a substitution for professional advice.
Niedkern Knight

Sensitivity and Psychedelics

Post by Niedkern Knight » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:34 am

Hello I've been watching a lot of Terence Mckenna lately and he mentioned something that kinda disturbed me. He said that if one has issues with establishing boundaries between self and other(basically I had a lot of energy from others mixing with mine, and effecting my day to day function greatly) that they should not use psychoactive substances.

The problem was that I was not differentiating between my thoughts and idea and beliefs and there's. Thus all thoughts became my thoughts immediately and I had to work constantly to then uproot said thought and toss them out. Currently I have solved this issue.

Now SWIM has tripped before, and it was an incredibly intense experience. SWIM thought SWIM was god(actually chanted it*not egotistical at all*), suffered from many delusions, ended up fracturing a rib which was confused as a gun shot wound and ended up dieing and seeing a light at the end of a tunnel, traveling around a tube that formed the symbol of infinity and being spoken to by other entities who said to one another that SWIM was not ready, and breaking a door trying to get through a portal in reality(had to pay for it as a broke college student and deal with incredibly angry person post trip :cry: ). Now SWIM attributes this to taking a double dose of especially potent mushrooms the first time(dealer actually was concerned after hearing of the dosage), and not being at ease with himself(was suffering from homophobia directed at self because of gay childhood experience*has been dealt with*) also cultural insecurity was an issue in the beginning.

After said trip I suffered from some delusions as I was afraid to venture back in and examine my experience. The first time after the trip while SWIM was smoking cannabis he thought that someone was trying to shoot him as he associated cars with guns at this time. He also thought for a time that others could hear his thoughts. SWIM was high on cannabis for much of his time in college and for about 3 months after the trip he was experiencing minor delusions that manifested on cannabis and proceeded into sobriety. I eventually uprooted them after a few days, but they were still disconcerting.

Now I do have some mental finesse after examining my brain regularly and making notes( had depression at one point that has been conquered), so I comfortable with dealing with mental issues as I have sharped my knife on experience.

Now after a 4 year hiatus from psychedelics SWIM wants to venture back in to the depth of the consciousness. SWIM has been preparing his mind daily, and waiting for a correct set and setting to be available. SWIM plans on going on a camping/hiking trip for 2 days(has extensive experience hiking and camping alone)and smoking some syrian rue to test the waters.

But this comment by Terence is stuck in my head and makes me mildly concerned as I don't want this to be a net negative. What are your experiences in this area?
I have hewn many briars in my garden, but many are still close.
The noxious weeds quiver in the fiber of their being as I draw near
I am a root striker, and I am HERE!

BiffCo1138

Re: Sensitivity and Psychedelics

Post by BiffCo1138 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:50 pm

maybe try a sensory deprivation tank... drug free psychedelic experience. You mention things about your past that put up some red flags of concern. There are various ways of working thru your psyche that you may want to venture into before another full on psychedelic entheogen experience. The sensory dep tanks are seemingly popping up all over the country. I'll be trying one for the first time myself this weekend. Seems that many people are finding them to be quite useful for working on different aspects of their personality.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. -Robert A. Heinlein

Flapjack

Post by Flapjack » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:47 am

I don't think depression is ever conquered. It's a part of everyday life for anyone whose ever had it. You sound like a pretty weird and unstable person based off of your brief story. Did you ever graduate college? Terence doesn't know what he's talking about and you sound like a crack pot. Who has the time to search inside your mind over and over again?

Depravation tank sounds kinda cool though.

teeko

Post by teeko » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:57 am

Dive in and fear not.

Sounds like you took too much man, you took too much.

Energy fields mix all the time, its a wonderful thing that should be consciously and ethically encouraged.

Although I think he was referring to respect and being able to maintain your own ideals instead of a convolution of jibb jabbery and self deception.

In mathematics and, in particular, functional analysis, convolution is a mathematical operation on two functions f and g, producing a third function that is typically viewed as a modified version of one of the original functions, giving the area overlap between the two functions as a function of the amount that one of the original functions is translated.
thisisnotanimage

All lies contain truth.

All truths are circumstantial.

Nikola

Post by Nikola » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:58 am

Flapjack wrote:I don't think depression is ever conquered. It's a part of everyday life for anyone whose ever had it.
Cold showers my friend. Bitchiness decreased in a matter of seconds.
"Can you tell the difference between gold and a lump of coal?"

teeko

Post by teeko » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:02 pm

Nikola wrote:
Flapjack wrote:I don't think depression is ever conquered. It's a part of everyday life for anyone whose ever had it.
Cold showers my friend. Bitchiness decreased in a matter of seconds.
While I agree, true chemical depression is not even 'tickled' by a cold shower. You could die in a tub of ice getting your kidneys removed before you would have a chance to respond to what was happening to you.

If you don't feel that is the case, then you have never been depressed enough to understand.

The world is your oyster. Every shit grain of filthy sand has the opportunity to become the shining pearl of a beautiful existence.

I 'think' that may translate into 'every negative experience in your life has the opportunity to transform itself into the most positive experience of your life'.

Buy the ticket...take the ride.
thisisnotanimage

All lies contain truth.

Nikola

Post by Nikola » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:34 am

You're right, luckily I haven't suffered from depression, nor do I know anyone who got cured by a miraculous cold shower :). I did suffer some major anxiety which included serious panic attacks etc etc. I don't know how close this is to serious depression, but I think every little bit helps.

There is one meditation technique though, which I have experience with when it comes to sensitivity to psychedelics (unmentionable for example). After 2 days of practising I can smoke a pound of unmentionable without feeling touched.
I refrain from advocating it, as it can result (in my personal experience) in some serious aggression if not done properly.

It is called tratak, or trataka.
So if someone feels willing to risk, I'd be glad to give a couple of pointers, but I'm no guru of course.
"Can you tell the difference between gold and a lump of coal?"

teeko

Post by teeko » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:42 am

TRATAK is very interesting stuff. Have you seen a psychomanteum before? You just reminded me of it. I will post some pics of my DIY version someday.

So what have you decided OP??
thisisnotanimage

All lies contain truth.

Flapjack

Post by Flapjack » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:11 am

I'm going to start meditating again. I find that when supernatural things start happening, it's hard to be depressed because you're overwhelmed with bewilderment. You need to find a spark of some sort. Without a spark you're a shadow.