Great Depression

This is the place to discuss issues pertaining to mental health.
Forum rules
All information posted in this forum is the opinion of the member posting it and should not be used as a substitution for professional advice.
minderbinder

Re: Great Depression

Post by minderbinder » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:47 pm

i had some rather good success regarding anxiety with magnolia bark and brahmi, if that is any help to you - i wish i could give any other hint for my own sake :)
Bhagwan told me not to worry. If i do it'll make me sorry. Alright.

The Wrong Alice

Post by The Wrong Alice » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:40 pm

Well Biff, the official testing referenced by the FDA found that relatively small doses of sodium laurel sulfate caused depression, and larger doses were lethal (and yet they cleared it for use anyway). Tests I conducted myself (however informally) suggest that ceasing to use SLS laden shampoos eases symptoms in sufferers of depression. This I feel is sufficient to conclude for all practical purposes that SLS in shampoo can cause or at least exacerbate depression to a noticeable degree, and should be avoided for reasons of the individual's health.

Maybe I'm wrong, but my conclusion is reasonable I think.

Divorce, especially under those circumstances, is certainly cause to be depressed. Indeed it would have to be taken as a sign of some other ailment if you weren't. Sounds like you handled it quite well.

On a chemical note, Nutmeg has applications as a mood heightener.

May you find what you seek,
Alice
Read my BLOG or THIS if you want to know who I am. If not, you aren't allowed to click my links.

To my fellow poisoners, I offer my HERBAL. This is the only way to buy a book that gets longer after you have it.

The Wrong Alice

Post by The Wrong Alice » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:33 am

Agreed David. I am a strong supporter of the principle of analyzing your life, identifying the things that make you happy, determining what is necessary in order to achieve those things, and eliminating everything else.

For instance, I wasn't happy in Virginia, so I picked up and damn well moved, taking with me everything I knew I would miss if I left it, and leaving everything else. When my job made me unhappy, I quit and found another job. Note that I did not find another income first, I simply left behind what did not make me happy.

Now I make my money doing the things I used to do in my spare time, because they make me happy, I live in a place I love, and a few hundred dollars a month is all I need because I got rid of everything I was told to want and kept what I really enjoyed.

Alice
Read my BLOG or THIS if you want to know who I am. If not, you aren't allowed to click my links.

To my fellow poisoners, I offer my HERBAL. This is the only way to buy a book that gets longer after you have it.

nepalnt21

Post by nepalnt21 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:36 am

eating right, meditation, that kind of stuff.

aurora_borealis

Post by aurora_borealis » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:31 am

In regards to the shampoo, I also am an advocate for steering clear of chemical-laden shampoos, lotions, etc., especially if they have lenthgty ingredient lists, or just ingredients I must take much time to pronounce. There is one shampoo I found that is awesome! It's a little pricey (under $16 for me) but it's lasted me almost 6 months and I still have enough (my hair is long as well). It's by a company called "Sundae". It can be used as body wash, car wash, dish detergent, dish soap, etc. It's made up only of water, fruits, herbs, sea salt, and vitamin c.

The Wrong Alice

Post by The Wrong Alice » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:15 pm

I use dawn dish soap, fels naptha for bodywash and laundry soap, and of late I've been alternating dove soap, home made goat's milk soaps, or vinegar for my hair. Every other day I forgo the cleaning agents and just use clean water on my hair. It's been working quite well, no harsh chemicals, no residues, and no mood altering substances.

The best condition my hair's ever been in was when I used a hemp based shampoo for a couple of months, but it was a gift (a rather expensive one) and I haven't replaced it.

Alice

aurora_borealis

Post by aurora_borealis » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:33 pm

'Never thought of using soaps for hair...great idea. Hemp is quite the gift, isn't it? So many great uses it has.

Oh, and to stay on the topic of diminishing depression, I'd recommend refraining from wheat and dairy, at least for awhile. I'm not sure whether that makes up a large part of your diet or not, but many people are sensitive, intolerant, and/or allergic to those things.

Sphere

Post by Sphere » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:45 pm

About 8 years ago I was going through what I thought was depression and Salvia helped me, but later I found that the reason was due to a thyroid problem, once I started taking synthetic thyroid medicine I no longer needed Salvia and the depression lifted. However, sometimes I do feel depressed but for good reason now, instead of due to a chemical imbalance. Sometimes we are depressed for good reason, at least, to us, and it isn't due to a chemical imbalance in the brain. Although, there are things you can do to help reduce or eliminate that kind of depression too, such as excercise which causes you to break a sweat at least three times a week, it has been shown to be as effective as medicines alone.

The Wrong Alice

Post by The Wrong Alice » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:14 pm

You need iodine. Look up Edgar Cayce's Formula 646. Synthetic thyroid meds are toxic.

Alice

Sphere

Post by Sphere » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:20 pm

OK, thanks, I will take a look. I keep forgetting to take my thyroid medicine most of the time, but if I go without it for a couple of weeks my energy levels are noticebly low but no depression anyway.