Great Depression

This is the place to discuss issues pertaining to mental health.
Forum rules
All information posted in this forum is the opinion of the member posting it and should not be used as a substitution for professional advice.
crowley

Great Depression

Post by crowley » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:26 am

What are effective ways to battle depression and stress? I have been under way to much stress for way to long now and it is leading to defeat and depression. What are effective ways to battle depression and get rid of the pressure in my head due to stress? Life is too short and my kids are too great to be living like this. Thanks!
Last edited by crowley on Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

witchammer

Re: Great Depression

Post by witchammer » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:19 am

Vitamin d 5000iu daily, less coffee, small amounts of kava not enough to make you tired, exercise though being busy makes it so hard, making an hour each day to do something with just you and your kids even if it is a walk for ice cream will make you feel great, dont leave things you can do today for tomorrow even if you have to stay up late to get them done you will awake feeling a sense of acomplishment and it will help you sleep better even though less. I am in the same situation. My job is crazy as I never know if Im working day or night, I am in legal trouble an forced to be in a program, community service,probation,fines up the ass and every month there is either a wedding or a birthday or some shit that I dont have time or money for plus I drive all the time and had to put an alcohol monitor device in my car that I have to blow into every 15 minutes or it shuts my car off and all it has done is malfunction constantly costing me thousands of dollars in work besides the money I have to pay monthly just to have it in my car. I have three kids and its beutiful out but instead of doing something with them or making money I am on my way to work in a homeless shelter for 13 hours so can understand why I can relate to your problem

catfishrivers

Post by catfishrivers » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:56 pm

Try finding a cd series called The HemiSync Gateway Experience. I recommend it over and over to people because it honestly makes a difference in the way I feel. Usually after going through one of the many 45 or so min long exercises, I feel reset, relaxed, and positive. I've tried literally 100's of meditation cds, and crap binuaral beat programs, but this series is just the perfect balance of non cheesy guided exercises, with sub threshold binural beat brainwave entrainment, and relaxing sounds and meditation music.

Hiking in nature daily helps me a ton as well. All the exercise + being in nature helps retune me from that tight faced, stiff muscled, anxious as a habit version of myself to the more relaxed, connected and at ease feeling version of myself. It's not a magic bullet, but the effect it has on my life over all since I started daily hikes has been noticeable.

Fresh Chamomile tea helps at night. I like the stuff from nuts.com, very fresh, potent and tasty. Helps me relax big time. So does the Yogi Tea Company's Kava Kava tea. Also look for Marley's Mellow Mood teas. Those are perfect for when anxiety is stopping you from relaxing into sleep. BTW - you can smoke chamomile to good effect too. Relaxing and smells nice.

Lastly, and this one makes a huge difference for me, but I find when I eat mostly all uncooked fruits, nuts, seeds & veggies, like for 75%-80% of my total diet, I feel an undeniable mood lift, energy boost, and restored feelings of confidence and vigor. The easiest way for me to stick to this is to eat wraps filled with as many salad type veggies as I can get in there and some dressing for both of my meals in the day.

When I can get myself in a sort of routine doing those things, I find my life is easier to handle, and I have a better type of energy about me to share with the people I love.
http://www.catfishrivers.com ~~All my creative efforts.
http://www.shroomsgonewild.com~~My Wild Edible Mushroom Blog
http://www.reversemonster.org~~My Weird Wide Weblog

nepalnt21

Post by nepalnt21 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:03 pm

exercise and eating the good stuff. better sleep cycles, and cut out the stimulants for awhile (probably the depressants too)

The Wrong Alice

Post by The Wrong Alice » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:07 pm

The methods of combating depression are innumerable.

It's been my experience that life action is by far the most effective. I've encountered people who were diagnosed with clinical depression, ostensibly caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain, and were proscribed expensive mood altering drugs. I've never encountered a depression case that was not improved or even cured by removing real life stressors.

In one case, the congenital chemical imbalance magically disappeared when the subject moved away from an abusive parent. It was an absolute miracle. Must have been a coincidence. (sarcasm alert).

The best suggestion I can offer is to identify the behaviours in your life which cause you to be stressed and depressed, and remove them. Change yourself, change your circumstances, and perhaps you will feel better. Figure out the things that are truly important to you, do what is necessary to attain them, and get rid of the obligations which do not facilitate the life you wish to live.

I do suggest you speak to someone else to help you attain that, someone not inclined to medicate you into a box. Even if it's just a sympathetic friend.

A lot of people become depressed because they feel trapped, they feel like they have no choice but to do things which make them unhappy in order to fulfill hollow, false obligations imposed by society. There's a song called "Civilization", by the Andrews Sisters (if you know that song, you're old) about how silly civilization is with a line as follows: "When they've got two weeks vacation, they hurry to vacation ground (What do they do, Darling?)
They swim and they fish, but that's what I do all year round!"

Break the cycle.

So, why are you depressed?

EDIT: Another useful thought. Stop using shampoo. Sodium laurel sulfate (in almost all shampoos) causes depression and even suicide. They know this and don't care, or else it's intentional and they want us depressed. I wrote a little article on the subject if you're interested. I use things like vinegar to clean my hair.

May you find what you seek,
Alice
Read my BLOG or THIS if you want to know who I am. If not, you aren't allowed to click my links.

To my fellow poisoners, I offer my HERBAL. This is the only way to buy a book that gets longer after you have it.

jbmac

Post by jbmac » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:57 pm

Sodium laurel sulfate - very interesting, please post your article here, and there has to be something better than vinegar to clean your hair. I bet hemp shampoo is good for you?

The Wrong Alice

Post by The Wrong Alice » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:52 am

An entire post from my blog.

Killer Shampoo

"No, that's not a joke. Have you ever looked at the ingredients label on your shampoo? It's a toxic nightmare.

The major offender is sodium laurel sulphate. Any guesses what it does? It's purpose is to help shampoo foam and help it to coat your hair and penetrate your skin in order to strip out the natural oils your scalp produces.

The primary purpose of this is to effectively addict your scalp to shampoo. If you stop using shampoo after this process is begun, your hair will overproduce oil and get kinda gross. If you use these shampoos without using a conditioner to replace the oils that should be there, it can damage your hair.

Quite a scam huh?

Well, here's the kicker. Sodium laurel sulphate is highly toxic. Its effects include chronic depression, brain damage, and death. Yes, that's right, death. Refer to the title of this article.

Boycott shampoo, demand real poo!

We've found a solution. Hundreds of people are switching to this and never going back.

Make a preparation of one tablespoon of baking soda in eight ounces of water (one cup), and a preparation of one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in eight ounces of water. Wet your hair and scrub the baking soda into your scalp. Let it sit for a few minutes, then add the vinegar and scrub some more. Rinse, and you're done.

Play with the amounts a little. You can make a paste with the soda and use it that way.

This method will make your hair incredibly oily for two or three weeks, because your hair has been producing huge amounts of oil in an attempt to counteract the detrimental effects of the shampoo. After that time, if your hair is still oily, try decreasing the amount of vinegar or replacing it with lemon juice or honey. Fox does the vinegar part only every few days.

There are all kinds of ways to modify this idea. I'm a Greek with naturally oily hair, and what I do is vinegar every day at a rate of 1 part vinegar to about 8 or 9 parts water, and a nice pure soap (like felsnaptha) once a week or so.

Some people just use straight water. If you have fine, dry hair that may be all you need unless you got something gross in your hair.

Our hair has never been happier. Fox's dandruff is completely gone after only a couple of weeks, and my hair actually tangles less.

Give it a shot, your hair will thank you, you'll live longer, and you'll actually be happier. I'd wager the prevalence of depression in this country coincides nicely with the use of sodium laurel sulphate in shampoo and lotion. (Yes lotions are part of the scam as well)

Good luck, and my condolences to your hair.

Alice"

I've used a hemp shampoo, and it worked very nicely, but it was extremely expensive. Still check the ingredients and make sure it doesn't contain sodium laurel sulfate. In fact, if it has anything in it you can't pronounce, you should avoid it. I actually look up all those strange chemicals we put into our bodies. Some are harmless, most aren't.

Alice
Read my BLOG or THIS if you want to know who I am. If not, you aren't allowed to click my links.

To my fellow poisoners, I offer my HERBAL. This is the only way to buy a book that gets longer after you have it.

minderbinder

Post by minderbinder » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:25 pm

i'd like to look into that HemiSync Gateway Experience, but it's pretty expensive ...
Bhagwan told me not to worry. If i do it'll make me sorry. Alright.

BiffCo1138

Post by BiffCo1138 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:06 am

(off topic apology)
There are a lot of these types of claims that come out about the safety of products based on extremely dilute concentrations of chemicals found in their ingredient list. I am a big proponent of low impact living and almost overly analytical/healthy lifestyles but I am constantly appalled by the claims that people will make about common chemicals, often based off of marketing hype from organic or eco-friendly brands.

What's the difference between medicine and a poison? -Dosage. yes yes I know, what about long term toxicity? It still comes down to what part of you is coming into contact with these chemicals and the plain fact that many of these things are not being metabolized by the liver or being stored inside the body as they are topical applications of low concentrations.

Sodium laurel sulfate does however present a much larger threat to global health based on its role as a pollutant in streams and rivers. So I do agree to avoid products that contain it, just more for the environmentally friendly reasons.

I completely agree with you about the way that it makes your hair over compensate its oil production tho and would like to point out there are many ways to make hair cleaning and conditioning products at home that are absolutely amazing! I have big, curly, pretty boy hair and I like to take good care of it when I'm not sticking it under a hat for weeks at a time 8-)
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. -Robert A. Heinlein

BiffCo1138

Post by BiffCo1138 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:36 am

(Back on Topic)
I think I agree 100% with The Wrong Alice's advice. Very well put. And I think I will also check out that HemiSync Gateway Experience.

After a cheating wife caught me off guard (divorce), I have found that battling depression for myself was a lot of getting my physical body to be happy and healthy enough to heal my mind naturally through providing it means of physical repair. Banishing the dwelling or worrying aspects of idle thinking and forcefully redirecting my thoughts to positive or healthy topics or just plain not allowing certain thought that I knew would trigger a cascade of negativity, was very very important. My depression was/is more of a grieving process really.

I deal with extreme anxiety issues off and on for much of my life as well, which can draw many parallels to depression. I have found that looking into a healthy lifestyle that fits you (doshas) and looking into the right adaptogens that fit your unique situation can help a great deal without resorting to using pharmaceuticals which often have undesirable side effects and their own list of possible complications. Often a lighter approach applied as a routine can be much more helpful for behavioral reprogramming reasons as well.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. -Robert A. Heinlein