What's your workout routine?

This is the place to share exercise tips.
Forum rules
All information posted in this forum is the opinion of the member posting it and should not be used as a substitution for professional advice.

What's your workout routine?

Postby TheNomad » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:01 pm

I lift weights and do cardio.

Weights at the gym about 3x per week and cardio in various forms about 5 times a week.

I discontinued using whey protein and instead try to boost protein in foods.

Things like Chia seeds with high protein and lots of fatty acids.

I recently started doing more sets with larger weights, instead of more reps with lower weights.

I believe that is supposed to build larger muscle mass.

I also have started holding weights still when the muscle is part way through the lift, I have read that is supposed to work the muscle more.

I try to switch up the workout and to work the same muscle group in different ways.

Of course I always try to give any given muscle group a break of at least a day, sometimes more if it still hurts.

What are your tricks or tips with working out?
TheNomad

Re: What's your workout routine?

Postby GK77 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:28 am

Omega-3 fatty acids, > 1000mg/d
CoQ10 ~ 100-200 mg/d. (look for Ubiquinol rather than ubiquinone is possible and can afford it (Kaneka Co of Japan was able to synthesize and stabilize this endogenous compound). Ubiquinol has better absorption and plasma levels = increased metabolic energy (ATP) levels.
Sulbutiamine (thiamine analog) on workout days (1-2 grams dose at start of day)

For building and anabolic training I eat ~1000 calories more than my BMR. Workout varies depending on targets I want to bulk at the time. Within 30 minutes post workout have 20 grams of protein. More has shown no clinical advantage even in large body builders. Follow this with a refined carb to produce an insulin spike for increased anabolism. Protein and creatine supplements are effective in increasing muscle growth.

For cutting and definition I eat ~500 less than my BMR.

For maintenance:
Resistance training includes 150 pushups/day, 45 pullups/day, biceps curls and lateral raises. Weekends off is OK for me, YMMV.
I run or walk the including a causeway (4 miles) about 3 x per week.
Energy intake for maintenance should be ~1.3 x your BMR. More if you are very active, less if you are sedentary.

All diets should be well rounded, colorful and fresh. Focus on lean proteins but occasional fatty meats are OK as well. Eat a variety of vegetables and complex carbohydrates. Limit sweets, and refined carboydrates, except following an intense lifting session. (see above note). Dont bother counting calories, but try and keep track of your protein grams. Protein supplements are useful when building and cutting, as protein intake should be reasonably high during these periods. Grams of protein should be ~2.0 per kg of body weight, more or less as needed. Not for long term.

This is my basic routine, and may or may not work for you, depending on your size, labs, activity levels etc.
"I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
-AE

http://forums.botanicalswap.org/index.php?topic=1808.0
GK77

Postby cochisewolf » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:06 am

Back in the day I just used a very basic formula with free weights. Heavy one day, light the next. I cycled through rapid reps targeting arms, legs, chest etc and alternated these as well. It would take 45 minutes or so and seemed to have good results. I have the advantage of a fast metabolism and I'm pretty skinny. Any improvement whatsoever really shows.

Course that was back in the glory days (think Federal hoosegow lol). Now I'm older and have systemic Lupus. I still get out every day and walk. I carry a pack everywhere usually with a book or two in it. I walk down stairs when I can instead of taking an elevator etc. What I'm interested in looking into are what they call low impact exercises like swimming. Beyond that I don't know much about the topic. Would like to hear anyone's insights though.
I indulged myself in the various religions and philosophies but cheerfulness kept breaking through
- Leonard Cohen

I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no class ...
- Unknown Poet
cochisewolf

Postby GK77 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:14 pm

I admit not knowing much about exercise other than what I do regularly. I'd like to get certified in sports nutrition in the near future either ISSA/AFPA certified. From what I understand, low impact should include eliptical cardio and yoga as well, (compared to a high impact treadmill).
Sorry I don't know much about this. If I do ever get certified I'll be sure to share the knowledge ;-)
-AE

GK77

Postby cochisewolf » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:47 am

I'll be your first patient!! One thing that's under emphasized with any work out routine is attitude. I know it may sound korny or irrelevant but attitude is almost everything. You got to feel good about what you're doing and truly believe it's beneficial. The body is just one part of the package. With the right attitude though you seem to tune in to the correct procedures. Don't know where this thought came from, just felt like blurting it out.
Signed
90 Pound Weakling

PS - Love that quote GK, it's one of my favorites from the great man ...
I indulged myself in the various religions and philosophies but cheerfulness kept breaking through
- Leonard Cohen

- Unknown Poet
cochisewolf

Postby Issachar » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:20 am

Just getting off your ass on a regular basis is essential to vitality, staying alive. Recent studies show that people who sit still for long periods of time, even if the have a regular workout routine, die at a much higher rate from all types issues. So do not remain seated for more than thirty minutes. Stand at your computer if you have to. I sit on my ass too much and parts of my body goes to sleep. it is real simple if you want to stay in motion, stay alive, stay the fuck in motion, and you will live.
2 Esdras 8:1 And he answered me, saying, The most High hath made this world for many, but the world to come for few.
Issachar

Postby GK77 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:38 pm

Truer words have not been spoken....

♪♫ Move - your - fat - ass ♪♫
♪♫ Stayin Alive ♪♫ Stayin Alive ♪♫

♪♫ Move - your - fat- ass ♪♫
♪♫ Stayin Aliiiiii-iii-ii-iii-ii-ii-iiii-ii-ii-iiive ♪♫
-AE

GK77

Postby cochisewolf » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:57 am

Wow, I hadn't even thought about that. I play poker online and it's nothing to sit around for 5-7 hours at a pop. Someone suggested I pee in a cup so as to not spend time unnecessarily away from the computer. I actually gave that some serious thought. That's a good idea. When sitting around get up a couple times an hour and do something, maybe pop a couple of weights or something ...
- Leonard Cohen

- Unknown Poet
cochisewolf

Postby GK77 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:10 am

shoot i sit for way too long when studying.
CW, if you are still winning money like before, I wouldn't worry about the moving thing. Money has a way of keeping the blues away, in and of itself ;-)
-AE

GK77

Postby cochisewolf » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:39 am

That's very true, money is good for your health. You can eat better food, impress babes with cool headbands and such and go to the la dee da gyms where they actually have someone do your workout for you, it's just great.

Those glory days are over since they kicked us Yanks off the big sites. The smaller tournaments just don't have the large enough payoffs to handle the variance. Hopefully that will change as soon as the government figures out how they can get a slice of the pie too. I still keep in practice so I'll be ready lol. Sweat, gym, treadmill. [Last sentence added so no one can say CW is going off topic here]
- Leonard Cohen

- Unknown Poet
cochisewolf

Next

Return to Exercise