raw foodism

This is the place to discuss a healthy diet.
Forum rules
All information posted in this forum is the opinion of the member posting it and should not be used as a substitution for professional advice.
nepalnt21

raw foodism

Post by nepalnt21 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:44 pm

just wondering if anyone out in fried-sburg subscribes to a raw food diet...

ive been dabbling in it lately, buying dried fruits and nuts, fresh veggies, and trying out different raw meats.

so far ive noticed a drastic improvement during the times when i stick to mostly raw foods. the improvements are mainly in the digestive tract (ive got gerd/ ibs that is set off with no apparent reasoning), but also in my mood, and my ability to clearly think and speak (imo haha) seem to be much better.

today, in fact, i had a biscuit and some other baked goods, and noticed that my stomach almost immediately reacted.

also, id like to know if anyone has a good method of getting sashimi-grade fish delivered to them.

GK77

Re: raw foodism

Post by GK77 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:03 pm

The dried fruits lose some of their nutrient functionality, especially Vit A & C through heat and oxidation.
The raw veggies and fruits are perfect, just make sure to wash well, especially if organic.
Raw meat is a touchy subject. Although the B vitamins are heat sensitive and water soluble, you dont lose too much in the way of nutrition by cooking meats. Unless you boil a steak for 2 hours and throw out the water ;-)

I do like the idea of raw food diets. I couldnt do it, but I minimally cook almost everything, steaks, fish, sushi (of course) and veggies. Even like raw milk, but I am a skim milk drinker and am also fearful of the numerous bacteria found in raw milk, regardless of what is said.

Do it smart, and I think it's a great way to enhance energy levels (and life).
"I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
-AE

http://forums.botanicalswap.org/index.php?topic=1808.0

nepalnt21

Post by nepalnt21 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:11 am

the dried fruits are ideal for me, because i can buy a lot of them, different varieties, and take them wherever i go. do you know if the nutritional content is drastically reduced? i would assume that the antioxidants are still there, because they retain their dark color.

and really, i always used to eat beef with some blood in it, just recently trying it more and more rare until i tried completely raw. once i had salmon sashimi, i was hooked.

from what ive read through various sources, with salmon at least, you really have to worry most about parasites if it is from a fresh water source. there are also parasites that can mess you up in fish from the oceans, but these parasites cannot live in our bodies, and will be passed (apparently).

i did have a little bit of diarrhea the other day eating raw salmon, but after one trip to the toilet, it went away and i felt great. i have no reason to believe it did any harm, i just think there was something there that my body didnt like, and wanted to get rid of it right away.

GK77

Post by GK77 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:41 pm

The majority of the harmful bacteria aren't often found in the meat/muscle of fish, so if it was filleted properly, (no cros-contamination from other items or its own intestines etc), you should be good. Still, I'd freeze your meats before you eat them. Something like -3 degrees F for a day, or -4 degrees for a week. This should any kill parasites; they can live in our body, but reports are uncommon according to CDC.
Toxins like ciguatera cant be eliminated by cooking, the only way to decrease risk from these bad guys is to buy from reputable sources.
We also learned seafood has been shown to be 10X safer than poultry in numerous US studies.

As far as the nutrition content of dried fruits, I really dont know amounts. If I were to guess, you would loose a lot of the antioxidants (because they become oxidized before you eat them when dehydrated). So they cant help with oxidative stress in the body anymore, but they wont cause further oxidative stress either. Unlike free radicals, antioxidants aren't as reactive once oxidized, so they just become benign molecules. So no benefit or danger.

By all means if its an issue of eating them or not, due to convenience, keep using the dried fruits.
I mean I dont think there is a definitive answer as to how much is lost, jus tthat some definitely is. Fresh is more bang for your buck, thats all we really know now.
Color isnt the only indicator of AO content, although you are right, it is a great marker. The AO can be oxidized, losing its beneficial properties and still the same color.
Vitamin C and polyphenols in specific are lost in the process; freeze drying seems better than air drying (again, oxidation) and organic preserves nutrients better than conventional methods, (regarding Vit C & antioxidants) according to:
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf020635c
-AE

teeko

Post by teeko » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:41 pm

Eating like this caused me multiple hospital visits and recurring kidney stones. Maybe at least. Thats what I figure. No matter what, its not right for everyone.

Soon as I started eating meat, bacon, grease, fat, lots of dead animals, stones are much smaller(genetic) and not a problem ever since I started eating meat again. Zero hospital visits since blood consumption, overall greater well being and more active. That was with supplements, lots of mung beans, chia, quinoa, etc. etc. etc. So I was not lacking on protein or amino acids. haha BLOOD! ??? :twisted:

All lies contain truth.

All truths are circumstantial.

GK77

Post by GK77 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:41 pm

Not sure the etiology of your case, but ↑ oxalate intake is the leading cause of kidney stones, and is especially high in raw/vegan/vegetarian diets.
It is common belief that, genetically, some are more prone to kidney stones (oxalate and others types) from meat based diets, and others are more prone to them from veggie diets.

Unfortunately, most find out the way you did, retrospective analysis of the primary diet you were on when you had the stones.
In your case, I'd agree, stay away from an exclusively veggie diet.

Repeated cohort studies show associations between specific diets and their respective benefits and drawbacks. Examples like, meaty dieters and higher risk of increased CVD, early mortality, hypertension... veggie dieters and increased risk of life threatening deficiencies, immune system weakening, brittle bones...

This is an example of the science behind the common phrase, "Eat a well balanced diet". It's not just cliche.
It is the fail safe way to ensure you decrease nutrition related health risks, (which are quite numerous, if you consider heart disease, diabetes and cancer)

There is also the organic craze. I make sure to eat both types of produce.
It's just my hypothesis, but i think we (as a race) need to partially expose ourselves to toxins that will be here long term, such as pesticides. Else we run the risk of weakening our immune systems over generations.
So my message? Mix it up, play mid field and dwell in the grey area. Polarization is only good in politics (and not even then)

**should of mentioned that you may also benefit from ↑ magnesium intake (nuts, supplements...).
It's vital for calcium's utilization in muscle contraction and to excrete it from body (blood into urine- via kidney).
Also important, magnesium oxalate is soluble in water, where calcium oxalate is not.
So it can prevent and even reverse early oxalate kidney stones.
Last edited by GK77 on Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Add Mg note
-AE

TheNomad

Post by TheNomad » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:25 pm

So eating lots of parsley would probably make stones?

I eat it, because of it's vitamin content, but it's probably best not to eat often?

=)

I've been noting the benefits of Magnesium supplements lately, with sleep especially.

I do know it's bad to use too much though, as it can have bad side effects in too high of doses.

TheNomad

Post by TheNomad » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:29 pm

Is there an additional benefit of using half a multivitamin twice daily, versus taking it once - with food of course?

I would guess it may be easier on the body and give the body a more steady stream of nutrients, versus one larger spike?

GK77

Post by GK77 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:10 pm

Mg is a great muscle relaxer, and good for headaches. It never did much for my sleep (insomnia) but worked for many colleagues.
Funny, I dont remember mentioning that I take my multi in 2 doses, but yes, halfing and staggering you multivitamins is great, just not convenient. You simply get more out of it. Metabolisms works more efficiently that way, simulates our ancestors grazing as they traveled.
I take 2 "doses" of my supplements. Half in the morning an hour or so after breakfast, and second dose an hour or so after lunch.
Take what you need.
My current regimen is:

MVI: I am in the cutting stage and eating less calories than I need, and thus not providing adequate micronutrients.
CoQ10: other than being one of my favorite supplements, it has shown to be effecitve in prevention of HD, especially if in the family history. Which is my case. Vital in the TCA cycle and making ATP.
FIsh oil: reduce inflammation from bad diet days, and for the above reasons related to cardiac issues.
Milk thistle: I was exposed to TB during my clinical rotation, it is latent (not alive or contagious) but I want to kill it completely, so I take INH, which can cause liver damage. Hence the milk thistle.
Ginseng: Increase daily energy levels, but not exercise performance. And also kick up the notch in the bedroom; definitively ;-)
Vit D: a cohort study showing the current world diet is deficient in vit d, and the originally accepted plasma levels were not adequate. Immune and hormonal enhancement top the list. Although the RDA is 400 UI, that is based on old research. Go with ~2000 per day. Take on days you dont get sun exposure (up north, office jobs etc).

Make sure to take only what you think you may need, and dont take those mega dose anythings. They are more than just a waste, they can cause a myriad of issues, including increased growth of cancerous tumors, especially the methyl transfer varieties. Many time excessive doses causes symptoms similar to a deficiency of the same vitamin/mineral.
-AE

damonster

Post by damonster » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:20 pm

Interesting thread. I am a carnivore so all these veggie / raw diets do not appeal to me. Although, I must admit that I do enjoy sushi on occasion. I think that wasting the salmon by eating it raw is pure food heresy. :) Honestly, raw salmon lacks the incredible taste of the roasted fish (roasted with butter, onions, lemon slices). MMM....
I was taking a multivitamin for a while, but I don't really notice any real benefits if I am taking care of myself and eating right. With the exception of potassium I find it very nice for preventing cramps from overexertion. Just my 2 cents. Peace out.

Oh yeah, always keep in mind you can OD on potassium so take the recommended dosage.
"The flame that once burned so bright,
Extinguished through out time,
Just an ember left,
To glow at night..." - "Nevermore Shall Our Paths Cross" Dirtyhookerbeast