Health Thread Experiment (copied from old Edot)

This is the place to discuss a healthy diet.
Forum rules
All information posted in this forum is the opinion of the member posting it and should not be used as a substitution for professional advice.

Health Thread Experiment (copied from old Edot)

Postby GK77 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:35 pm

Below is a copy the Health Thread Experiment from Edot.
It is a little rough in its presentation; I'll try and clean it up.
Good info and questions here, however I'd suggest creating new threads (as we now have separate sections for Diet, Exercise and Mental Health) if you have further questions or comments regarding the topics here; it's just too much to focus on in one thread.

Wanted to save the info and bring it over for those who were involved in it's creation, many of which have already made the move here.

gkannon77 10th September 2011 09:00 PM

Here we discuss anything related to Health & Wellness.

Many members here have years of experience in health and wellness related activities. This information may be of benefit to other members who are looking for a peer to discuss their health/wellness questions with.
Each one of us has experienced something regarding health that others could learn from.
Hence, we decided to have a specific sub-section designated to addressing this aspect of the community, where you can share your knowledge and ask your questions.

Additionally, we plan on creating an entire Health Forum section; coming soon. This thread will serve as a source of feedback for when we set up the new Health Forum; this entire thread will be moved to that forum, (as a sticky) once opened.

Possible topics include: Physical, Mental, Spiritual, Sexual:

Want to know the general consensus on the health benefits of certain botanicals?

Want to share your tried and true recipes for tonics, poultices, creams etc...?

Do you have questions or comments about nutrition?

Need advise on exercise?
Breathwork?

Ever wondered if anyone here has personal experience with a particular disease or condition you are currently dealing with?

Have a story about overcoming a health related difficulty, you think may inspire or help others?

Want scientific, evidence-based answers from individuals in the health care profession?

Anything else you've ever wanted to know, or wanted to share, related to health, this is the place to do it.

Have fun, be respectful and remember to take what you learn here with a grain of salt. Each individual is different, and some health practices that work wonders for one person may be unsuccessful for another.

*None of the advice, suggestions or methods mentioned herein should be used in place of professional health advice. Always consult your doctor before making any health related decisions.

catfish 10th September 2011 11:06 PM

good disclaimer...im catfish, and i approve this message :P

gkannon77 11th September 2011 12:41 AM

Thanks for the message approval, monsieur catfish. ;-)

What I have been wondering recently is if anyone has had successful supplementation with rhodiola rosea, when only using the 3% Rosavins extract.

The studies showing it was effective were using a 3% rosavins with 1% salidroside extract.

I got mine online kinda cheap, so maybe thats why. Not sure if the 3% is effective. But something is working... Increased cognition, concentration and motivation.
Problem is I started taking vincopetine at the same time so not sure what is doing who, here; so-to-speak.

Any personal exp with either 3%, or 3% & 1%?
Dose?
Effective?
As always, open to any other suggestions for "brain plants"

Thanks Edot.

Nikola 12th September 2011 08:01 AM

Never heared of vincopetine. However, I used rhodiola 3% and noticed the same effects. Not sure about the dosage though, it was a while ago.
Yes, rhodiola has the effects you were speaking about. You're probably sleeping better too, so that plays a role also. It's all about where you take it from here. Do you use it as a cure (drug), or realise it's a plant showing you the way.
Of course, one of the most important things to think about when it comes to being well is what you eat. Our bodies are like receptors taking in all this stuff. What you take in is what you become. Is it something fresh or something stale, something increasing energy making you light and stressless or heavy and slow, incapable.
Just recently (2 weeks ago) I started taking nutrition seriously, and trust me, it makes all the difference in the world.

P.S. I think the best place for this thread would be in the plants section.

gkannon77 12th September 2011 11:12 PM

Funny you say that. When I changed my eating habits years ago, it made a HUGE difference. As cliche as it sounds, diet and exercise are the most effective and sustainable beneficial changes one can make.

It's also what sent me on my current path in academia and future career of Nutrition. With only 3 months until I receive my masters, I am looking for a gentle boost in energy and concentration to get through that last leg of the race. After years of study and researching, I'm kinda getting burnt out.
So I am looking for compounds to act adjunctly, this last semester of grad school.

Ginseng, rhodiola rosea and vinpocetine (periwinkle BTW) have all, in their own way, become very important and beneficial in my life.

To address your question on my purpose of use, I admit using these plants as drugs initially. As with entheogens, plant medicine shows its true colors when a relationship is built, often times it's the plant that makes the "first move". So now, it has become more symbiotic, and less "using".

Ideally, I would grow these pants and harvest my own medicines. That's a personal future goal of mine.

What amounts of rhodioa did you eventually settle on? Currently I mix 500 mg, twice daily. And, wow, the taste. That takes some getting used to.

Good call on moving the thread to the plants section.

skunkjar 13th September 2011 02:23 AM

What a fantastic thread, I have been gone for far too long. Too bad all i have is this stupid phone to browse the internet with. Anyway, great thread and best of luck luck with the masters gk.

Nikola 13th September 2011 04:09 AM

Wow, nutrition, I'd love to study that. Good luck!
Oh yes...rhodiola is awesome but the taste is just...cruel. I don't think you can really get used to it.
Personally, I am completely addicted to green tea. With apple cider vinegar. A tablespoon. It just adds so much to green tea, even the taste is better.
What's so fckin good in apple cider vinegar? I know about acetylcholine..but there must be something else.

gkannon, have you studied about macrobiotics, the yin yang theory in college? I am currently following this, and I must say, though I don't have the full comprehenion, I am amazed. Really works.

gkannon77 13th September 2011 04:09 PM

Healthy tip: ↓folate intake ↑risk of prostate cancer.
Men, eat leafy greens! (FOLIAGE=FOLATE/FOLIC ACID)

Science behind: this occurs via one carbon metabolism and the methionine salvage pathway.

@ Nikola:
Not too familiar with the macrobiotic diet, but I support what I have heard. We practice evidence based nutrition, so it may take various meta analysis for Universities to accept it (barring naturopath schools, which are awesome!)

Make sure you are getting all your amino acids (complete protein) and B6, B12. Those tend to be low in these populations.

*Disclaimer- forgot to add-
-once diagnosed with prostate cancer, steer clear of the folate. Basically folate synthesizes DNA and new cells. Once a pathway has been disturbed, for whatever reason (carciogen etc..) folate will continue to push new cell synthesis. So while folate prevents prostate cancer, once established, it can exacerbate it.

gkannon77 13th September 2011 07:57 PM

Somehow I missed you up there skunk, good to see you.
Quit being a stranger and get a computer!

Nikola 15th September 2011 05:22 AM

not the appropriate place for the question
vesfadde 15th September 2011 04:13 PM

I stumbled across a very interesting health benefit of Citrus Genus trees namely oranges and tangerines. The "compound" they are abundant with is called Nobiletin and actually has a wide range of beneficial properties such as anti-cancer, lowering cholesterol levels, helping with memory loss, diabetes, etc.

Nobiletin
Quote:
Nobiletin is a citrus flavonoids with a structure similar to that of tangeretin. It has the typical flavonoid structure and contains 6 methoxyl groups, one more than tangeretin. This high level of methoxylation increases the hydrophobic character of tangeretin. Pure nobiletin has the appearance of colorless needles and has a bitter taste.

Health Benefits of Nobiletin
Nobiletin seems to be a very noble phytochemical with many potential health benefits. The most studied properties of nobiletin are its anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer activities. Nobiletin also helps to lower cholesterol levels and some studies indicate that it may improve impaired memory loss and treat acne.
Anti-inflammatory
Numerous in-vivo and in-vitro studies have demonstrated the anti-inflammatory activity of nobiletin and its metabolites. Nobiletin acts directly as an antioxidant but also interferes with biological inflammatory processes. It inhibits the expression of genes involved in inflammation by blocking the binding of NF-kappaB with DNA. One study showed that nobiletin reduced airway inflammation of asthmatic rats. Treatment of skin cells with nobiletin also reduced inflammation caused by ultraviolet-B radiation.
Anti-cancer
The anti-cancer properties of nobiletin are supported by many scientific studies. Nobiletin act by its antiproliferation effect without being toxic to normal cells. Favourable results have been obtained on cancer cell lines of the liver, stomach, prostate and colon.
Cholesterol lowering
A study with cultured macrophages demonstrated the cholesterol lowering and atherosclerosis inhibiting properties of nobiletin. Nobiletin also inhibits the formation of macrophage foam cells, macrophages loaded wit lipids, which build up on artery walls.
Memory loss
One study on a mice model showed that nobiletin my help to improve memory loss. The brains of the mice were chirurgically altered to obtain models of Alzheimer disease. It is not known if nobiletin improves the condition of human Alzheimer patients.
Acne treatment
We found one study showing that nobiletin inhibited sebum production on hamsters and inhibited the proliferation of sebocytes, the cells that form the sebaceous gland. This observation led the researchers to conclude that nobiletin could be used as a drug for acne treatment.
Synonyms
3',4',5,6,7,8-hexamethoxyflavone

American Diabetes Association

gkannon77 15th September 2011 09:14 PM

I wonder if you can get therapeutic doses by just eating tangerines. It seems the majority of it is in the peels (http://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/...ticle/-char/en)

Good find man, have you seen it in supplemental form yet?

vesfadde 16th September 2011 02:23 AM

No I haven't seen it anywhere as supplements and I don't expect to because I'm in Serbia. I can't say anything for USA.

You're right, the majority of it is in the peels but if I'm right there should be high enough doses for therapeutic purposes in the white stuff (I don't how it's called in english) that is between the skin and the fruit.
Still, if I'm sick enough I'll the peel any day :smile:

flickedbic 16th September 2011 01:37 PM

I am excited about the experiment: I I imagine nutrition will play a big role along with things like TCM and building an arsenal of health allies from land and sea like mushrooms, seaweeds, Qinoa, and Chia seeds.

Methods of delivery IE: Juicing vs. cooking.
Raw vs Cooked.

I'm sure there will be offshoots of optimum mental health with nootropic /quality of life herbs and also for optimum sexual health, health for all ages, etc!

We may get into energy work like Qigong, accupuncture, etc.
The possibilites for our health thread seem endless.

Blessings.

Nikola 17th September 2011 11:45 AM

Does anybody know anything about decalcifying the pineal gland? Would fasting do it?

gkannon77 17th September 2011 01:33 PM

If you can read Greek, here is a method using electromagnetism.
http://phdtheses.ekt.gr/eadd/handle/10442/13011
View the full text.

Calcium, magnesium and melatonin may be useful for this as well.

Khnum93 17th September 2011 06:26 PM

Nikola, you mentioned the benefits of applecider vinegar. I have taken two TBSP of it in a tall glass of water. It knocks down my blood sugar levels a lot. I'm a type 2 diabetic. I don't use it as a daily regimen but only when my sugar level is high in the evening. The unmentionable also lowers blood sugar.

93 / 93

flickedbic 17th September 2011 07:11 PM

Quote:

I believe HRM (Hira Ratan Manek); who used light from sun-gazing for as his only food for an extended period (over 400 days) under the watchful eyes of a scientific team claims decalcification (by solar gazing mostly rather than fasting I think).
Quote:

Normal Pineal gland measures 6 x 8 mm in human body.As per C.T.Scan & MRI Scan reports of Mr. Hira Ratan Manek.it is 8 x 11 mm. (enlarged !)

HRM also recommends walking barefoot on the earth, (not grass) or barefoot on the sand.

Stop drinking and bathing in fluoridated water; Fluoride is an industrial waste product of the Aluminum industry that is hugely attracted to and calcifies the Pineal.

I would imagine fasting or just eating foods of greater purity organic juices traditional adaptogens and detoxifyers might help.

I've heard some good things about skate liver oil for Pineal gland health.
Quote:
I'm going to try the skate liver oil + cod liver oil/butter oil. I'll also be supplementing with Vitamin d3 and a calcium/magnesium combo with the calcium being in the form of either calcium citrate malate, or calcium bisglycinate. I expect this detox to take awhile, so as far as seeing amazing results after a week... well I'm not going to base my satisfaction on just 1 week. I believe it will be a cumulative removal over time. I'm also eyeing a product called Zeoheal, but I haven't heard enough about it yet...
Mixture of several herbs gentle tonic to heal, strengthen and maintain adrenal, pineal, pituitary, lymph and thyroid glands:

Kelp, Gentian Root, Saw Palmetto Berry, Cayenne and Irish Moss

And now something that could be very important to consider when detoxing:
Quote:

Chlorella and Cilantro are great for heavy metal detox.

It is VERY IMPORTANT to use chlorella when taking cilantro....I haven't seen many people who can explain it properly, but this blog does....

Cilantro
"This kitchen herb is capable of mobilizing mercury, cadmium, lead and aluminum in both bones and the central nervous system. It is probably the only effective agent in mobilizing mercury stored in the intracellular space (attached to mitochondria, tubulin, liposomes etc) and in the nucleus of the cell (reversing DNA damage of mercury). Because cilantro mobilizes more toxins then it can carry out of the body, it may flood the connective tissue (where the nerves reside) with metals, that were previously stored in safer hiding places.

This process is called re-toxification. It can easily be avoided by simultaneously giving an intestinal toxin-absorbing agent. Our definite choice is the algal organism chlorella. A recent animal study demonstrated rapid removal of aluminum from the skeleton superior to any known other detox agent.

cilantro causes the gallbladder to dump bile — containing the excreted neurotoxins — into the small intestine. The bile-release occurs naturally as we are eating and is much enhanced by cilantro. If no chlorella is taken, most neurotoxins are reabsorbed on the way down the small intestine by the abundant nerve endings of the enteric nervous system"

Proper breathing with the belly/dan tien seems to wake me up and give clarity. I practice inhaling to the left all the good energy to a 3 count; hold x4 ( a 12 count) focusing on absorbing the good elements and exhaling to the right all dirty energy to the Earth for renewal using a count of 6 in this case.

1 -:--- 6 ---:-- 2
Inhale_Absorb_Expell

This is called the healing breath and it reminds me of the tortoise.
It may be a longevity breath as well.

The next technology I think is pretty cool is SuperBrain Yoga. Doing this simple excersize synchronizes the hemispheres of the brain, according to the Yale neurobiologist Dr. Eugenius Ang “... in modern terms, the brain is actually lateralized.” This is an ideal but uncommon arrangement. It is something that expensive brain technology CDs attempt to do.
Quote:

How to Do SuperBrain Yoga
In the morning, facing where the sun rises with your feet pointing straight ahead, spread them apart about shoulder width. Grab your you right earlobe with the thumb and finger of your left hand. Cross over your left arm and do the same using your right hand on the left earlobe. Then squat as fully as you can, breathing in. That seems counterintuitive, but that's what you do. Breathe in as you squat, breathe out as you stand.

The breathing needs to be synchronized with the squats. Continue this motion repetitively while holding both earlobes for three minutes. That may be too much at first, so start with one or two minutes. One can go up to five minutes, but three is good enough. This can be done by anyone at any age and should be done on a daily basis until the fog lifts!

Nikola 18th September 2011 05:17 AM

Unfortunately, I can't read Greek.
Khnum93, thanks, my father's diabetic I'll tell him about this.

I don't think sungazing and similar things will work in this situation.
I have a schizophrenic friend. Basically, she sees her hallucionations only in the light. That's why I got the idea that maybe something's wrong with melatonin.
Quote:
Computed tomographic (CT) studies of the brain in schizophrenic patients have demonstrated a variety of structural abnormalities. We reported recently an association between pineal calcification (PC) and cortical and prefrontal cortical atrophy, and third ventricular size on CT scan in chronic schizophrenic patients. These findings indicate that in schizophrenia PC is associated with the morphological brain abnormalities associated with the disease. If PC is, indeed, related to organic cerebral pathology, then one would expect a higher prevalence of pineal gland pathology among patients with electroencephalographic (EEG) abnormalities by comparison to those with a normal EEG. To investigate this hypothesis, we studied the prevalence of PC on CT scan in a sample of 52 neuroleptic-treated schizophrenic patients (29 men, 23 women, mean age: 51.3 years SD = 9.1), of whom 10 (19.2%) had an abnormal EEG. The prevalence of PC in patients with EEG abnormalities was significantly greater by comparison to those with a normal EEG (90.0% vs. 54.8%, X2 = 4.24, p < .05). Since both groups did not differ on any of the historical and demographic data, and since PC was unrelated to neuroleptic exposure, these findings suggest that in schizophrenia PC may be related to the disease process and that it may be a marker of subcortical pathology.

Quote:
Recent studies suggest that abnormal melatonin functions may be implicated in the pathophysiology of schizophrenia. Since there is evidence that the presence of pineal calcification (PC) may relate, among other factors, to disturbances in melatonin secretion, I investigated in 23 chronic institutionalized schizophrenic patients the relationship of PC size on CT scan to the mode of onset of schizophrenia which carries both developmental and prognostic significance. Patients with gradual onset schizophrenia had PC size that was significantly larger than those with sudden onset (8.94 +/- 3.96 mm vs. 4.80 +/- 1.75 mm p < .025). These findings suggest that the nature of onset of schizophrenia may be influenced by the activity of the pineal gland, which may exert a role in the development and prognosis of the illness.

I also read about fasting helping schizophrenics, even curing in large percentage.
Quote:
In the last 50 years in Russia, therapeutic fasting has been found to be the most effective treatment for schizophrenia. As early as 1972, Dr. Yuri Nikolayev, director of the fasting unit of the Moscow Psychiatric Institute, reported on the use of fasting to successfully treat over 7000 patients who suffered from various mental disorders including schizophrenia. Now Nikolayev after 30 year’s experience fasting over 10,000 patients says, “seventy percent of those [schizophrenia patients] treated by fasting improved so remarkably that they were able to resume an active life”

So I figured, perhaps it was the fasting that caused the pineal gland decalcification.

gkannon77 18th September 2011 02:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
All of the above ^ (organic)
Quote:
Quote:

gkannon77 19th September 2011 11:14 PM

Anyone tried Tribulus terrestris yet? Wondering if its al its cracked up to be as an aphrodisiac.

Any other herbal recommendations?

Nikola 22nd September 2011 11:23 AM

Haven't tried it. Kanna is not bad as an aphrodisiac.

Reese 23rd September 2011 04:47 AM

entheogenic plants really helpful to keep health best....!:dissap:

Nikola 24th September 2011 07:25 AM

Let's talk physical fitness ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjQIJ...eature=related ).

What you think is best? Weight lifting? Yoga? Cardio?
How much? How far to push yourself?

Personally, I think a balanced bodyweight strength training exercise program is best, just because it makes me feel best. What are your opinions?

gkannon77 9th October 2011 05:14 PM

EDOT had to move. We are currently trying to upload all backup files to the new site. Hope to see you all there!
http://entheogen-network.com/forums/
"I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
-AE

http://forums.botanicalswap.org/index.php?topic=1808.0
GK77

Re: Health Thread Experiment (copied from old Edot)

Postby jbmac » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:58 am

good thread, I have found that humic mineral supplement from Vital Earth Minerals helps me
jbmac

Postby LedaBunny » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:22 am

Measles is a highly infectious illness caused by a virus. The virus lives in the mucus Adele's weight loss storyof the nose and throat of people with this infection. Physical contact, coughing and sneezing can spread the infection. In addition, infected droplets of mucus can remain active and can be passed on by touching (they are contagious) for around two hours. This means that the virus can live outside the body - for example, on surfaces and door handles.
Last edited by LedaBunny on Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
LedaBunny

Postby jbmac » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:20 pm

Yes, I must work to keep my sinuses clean, so I get no colds, great thread. oh wish we had a chat here and the world was not so slow
jbmac

Postby jbmac » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:26 pm

https://immortalitea.com/products/premi ... 7076439111 - this tea supposedly works well, ordered it.
https://www.amazon.com/Bestwishes2u-Sta ... ainer+ball

Is the best tea strainer for the money
jbmac

Postby GK77 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:52 am

Never heard of that tea. Looks like gunpowder green tea, but isnt. That tea strainer looks cool.
-AE

GK77

Postby GK77 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:11 am

Well there are hundreds of amino acids, and you certainly dont need them all. In fact some are toxic. Others have other effects, like the amino acid Ibotenic acid, a prodrug to muscimol, from amanita mucaria.

If you mean the 20 amino acids used in human protein synthesis, only 9 of those are necessary (essential amino acids) to be consumed, as our body can make the remaining 11 on its own. It really doesn't take much to get all your 9 essential amino acids. You can get all of them with one serving of any of these foods: quinoa, soy, chicken, fish, etc.. etc..

Or just eat complementary proteins like peanut butter and whole wheat, or rice and beans and youve got them all. We rarely see essential amino acid deficiency in developed countries.

What i see more often is not a case of people not eating all their amino acids, but not absorbing them, due to poor diet, ie. high carb/fat diet (like the classic unhealthy American diet)
-AE

GK77

Return to Diet