Home distillation?

This is the place to discuss wine, mead, beer, spirits, concoctions, techniques, additives, etc.

Re: Home distillation? -

Postby lake » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:37 pm

If you want to make good whiskey get ahold of the firefox books it is a group of books about moutain people and has an article labled "distilation as a fine art" READ IT! it will teach you to make good corn whiskey.
lake

Postby TheNomad » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:44 am

Yes some methods of preparing the mash have higher chances of creating toxins.

It is also important to remove the faints and tails or whatever it's called.

The point is, that the above posters are correct, there is a lot to the art of distilling.

Also things with Pectin like Apples create more toxins as well.

Using specifically designed brewers yeasts also make the resulting material (mash) have a higher percentage of alcohol. Also using these yeasts will reduce the amount of toxins created (versus using a bread yeast). There are also added micronutes.

On a side note, I've heard that Molasses makes more alcohol than sugar per unit, because the molasses has all the nutrients that refined sugar is lacking.

-Matthew
TheNomad

Postby Laughsalot » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:16 pm

Another method I read about was to jack some wine (freeze off water) and distill it. Toss out first 10% and last 40%, the other 50% is what you want iirc. If done in the winter, and is cold enough, it will really offset the cost and energy required to distilling.
Laughsalot

Postby TheNomad » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:34 pm

Yes, I have also heard that Wine will create one of the cleanest distillates.

-Matthew
TheNomad

Re: Home distillation?

Postby Frozenthunderbolt » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:35 am

The site is well old and out of date, for current info sign up to the HD forum: http://homedistiller.org/forum/
Frozenthunderbolt

Postby fmrc » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:33 pm

Freeze Distill is the easiest. Use plastic jugs and not glass as glass might crack. Pour mixture in jugs and freeze. The water freezes solid way before alcohol. Pour off liquid, this is your whiskey, and throw away the solid ice. When you distill wine, this is known as Brandy. I have seen the post about how the first drops from the still are poisonous and will make you blind. This is false. Some posts say this is methanol. This is also false. From the first drop to the last, it is all good. I am still here and can still see. slp/fmrc
fmrc

Postby Thomas_09 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:05 pm

Nice post!
Thomas_09

Postby cornemuse » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:15 am

Freezing does not seperate/remove the 'foreshots', some nasty stuff there. Build a pot still & a simple reflux still. !st thing, right off the bat is acetone, it reeks! then methonal, <- makes you go blind. "Toss 1st 10%?", toss 1st 10% & then start tasting, 10% does not allus get it. No simple ways to do it right.

I have a batch of 'loquat' wine fermenting, should be done soon, , ,

-c-

(edit: 1st post)
cornemuse

Previous

Return to Fermented Drinks