Home distillation?

This is the place to discuss wine, mead, beer, spirits, concoctions, techniques, additives, etc.

Home distillation? -

Postby KyleinMN » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:57 am

I'm considering moving to New Zealand and would like to try home distillation there. :roll:

I've done some research on it as far and it seems that for the most part you need a still. I don't really want to buy one and I haven't seen any easy plans for one so I'd like to try a different method of doing it.

I'm thinking of using the bucket method seen here: http://homedistiller.org/ (Go to equipment, making a still, stills that aren't stills).

It says that it should be kept in a warm place and that it takes a long time. Anyone have any idea about how well that actually works and whether it will work at room temperature?

If that wouldn't work well at room temperature could I just substitute a pot for a bucket and do it on my stove top?

Basically I just want to do it cheaply and easily. I'm thinking a good start would be to make "sugar wine" with water, sugar and bread yeast similar to the method in the cheap wine post and then distill that. What kind of results can I expect using that method?
Last edited by KyleinMN on Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
KyleinMN

Re: Home distillation? -

Postby Enlighten me » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:07 am

Sugar wine isn't the ideal, it tastes like...liquid bread.

However, you can make some decent wine if you add some grape juice to the sugar wine, less sugar is required of course.

After the product is done (all the yeast is dead) carbonate it, and then move on to distilling.

Heres a good link for cheap wine. http://www.warpbreach.com/6/6.html
Enlighten me

Postby Enlighten me » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:10 am

Oh yeah, don't forget to siphon it!
Enlighten me

Postby Maslow » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:39 am

sugar wine is fine for distilling, especially with the yeast that are specifically designed for that stuff.

I'm confused about how one could distill at room temperature? I went to the website and didn't see anything about the "bucket method" either. I am not familiar with that one, but the website looks like a pretty good site and has lots of good distilling info. good luck
Maslow

Postby greeny » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:31 pm

I'm confused about how one could distill at room temperature? I went to the website and didn't see anything about the "bucket method" either.

Their menu is a bit flaky, but go like this:

Equipment -> Making a Still -> Stills that aren't Stills -> Slow Evaporation.
Last edited by greeny on Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greeny

Postby Moloch » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:43 pm

I'm guessing that their slow distillation is just letting it sit and evaporate on its own. Water/alcohol will evaporate just fine at room temp (albeit very slowly), but the other stuff in there that makes up the flavor might lag behind. This isn't really a still, but something that anyone should be able to do legally. (dont quote me on that)

If you plan to make a still, make sure you know what you are about before you jump in head first. There are reasons why home distilling is illegal in nearly every country, mainly because people blow themself up.

High % alcohol is very flamable, add heat to make it a vapor, a little pressure, and you have a nice bomb waiting for a spark to set it off.
Moloch

Postby nigel » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:29 am

Making a still is some simple shit. I think mine took 20 minutes once I got all the parts together. get off yer butt and go to home depot and do it.

go find an old pressure cooker to start. they work great.
nigel

Postby Burning_Copal » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:47 pm

A ' still that isent a still ' could easily be ' constructed ' out of a steel stock pot, a carbon steel cooking wok , a glass bowl, a lower proof alcohol, beer, wine, anything , water and icecubes, and a stovetop as well as a good sense of how hot fluid is to the touch.

This is all hypothetical of course, but one in new zealand might find this quite effective for smaller home distilations. A few pints perhaps. AFOAF told me this yields quite fine firewater, and decent absinthe. And yes high proof alcohol is extreamly flamable , the warnings you see on bottles of 151 is there for a reason.

If in new zealand, and on a budget, the cheapest rotgut beer avalible works fine.
Burning_Copal

Location: a finite mortal body somewhere in PNW. How about you ?

Postby Stabby Joe » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:36 pm

screw it... make a real still.
You want flavour? Pot still (up to 150 proof)
You want something that'll put hairs on your chest? reflux still (up to 192 proof)

in NZ it's all legal so don't worry about it. if yuo want to buy one you're looking at $250 (NZ currency) minimum... search 'pot still' on trademe.co.nz - some ok ones going for $275.
Same goes for reflux, but a little more expensive.

You don'y want to spend that much? then THIS is what I'm making. Easy as pie. Bit of copper pipe, a pressure cooker or a stock pot and a bowl and a bucket of cold water.
After that, you can distill anything alcoholic you like... most people start off with that powdered stuff you use to make mash for beer - it has everything yeast needs to do it's thing, already. Most, however make their own mash... Common recipes are something like, 2kg corn, 5kg sugar, 20L water (dissolve sugar in it) and a couple of tablespoons of bakers yeast. Should give something about 7-10% and you can get some niiice flavor by running that through a pot still a couple of times.

Good luck. Don't use an open flame. Make sure the seals on your pot still aren't stronger than the marterial around them, or when something goes wrong there'll be an explosion with shrapnel, instead of a seal popping. And for crissake DO NOT drink the first 100ml to come out of a 20L run. That shyt will make you throw up and go blind.
Stabby Joe

Postby Jessica123 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:54 am

If you are making beverages to drink. But owning a book that tells you how is legal. As is owning the equipment. It's just illegal to actually do it.

--------------------------------
Easy Home Remedies, Best Home Remedies
Jessica123

Next

Return to Fermented Drinks