my new mead

This is the place to discuss wine, mead, beer, spirits, concoctions, techniques, additives, etc.

my new mead

Postby kill_blind_elite » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:04 pm

today I went out and got all the fixings to make mead .... I found the cheapest way to do it that I could find on the net. I made two different batches, one with honey, raisins, cinnamon, ginger, an orange and (orange-tangerine juice) the other has honey, cinnamon, raisins, blueberries, orange-tangerine juice and amber agave nectar .... I bet they're going to be awesome.
I' planning on putting a dose of lotus z-bars (my size of dose) per glass in the agave nectar flavored one for my brother because the z-bars don't taste like bitter piss and he's not a big drinker and will give the others to my mom and step-father for x-mas and send another to my dad's on x-mas ..... got started early !!! I woke up today and read something online about mead and said that would be a good x-mas present and said fuck why not !

here is the recipe I used with some tweaks : http://www.stormthecastle.com/mead/fast ... making.htm

when you add spices it's called Metheglin and when you add fruit other than apple cider or grapes it's called melomel so I don't know what to call them lol
so I decided that the blueberry-blue agave one with blue lotus will be called blue mead I think and I will call the spiced ginger mead moms melomel cause mom will be like ... MY GOD what the fuck is it ? ha ha

also thinking of getting some sherry, 2 of those half gallon bottles (so I can use the bottles at xmas time to put the mead in) I can drink mine out of a jug :-). some damiana and merachino cherries for one sherry infusion and mabey some cebilyuasca seeds and some blackberries for the other and letting them sit for a few months for a camping trip.
kill_blind_elite

Re: my new mead

Postby teeko » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:54 pm

"z bars" are either phenazepam or midazolam - I don't recall which and would have to see the packaging again. There is NO lotus of any sort in those pills.

All lies contain truth.

All truths are circumstantial.
teeko

Postby kill_blind_elite » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:01 pm

seriously ? lol ... on the packet it says 50:1 lotus ... shit he already gets a script for lorazepam ... well fuck ... I already started the mead and I guess I could throw some lotus something in when I rack it but ... I have horrible luck with the lotus I have bought... 2 oz wouldn't even work and I have even bought some 89% or 98% (CAN'T REMEMBER WHICH) lotus resin extract from a trusted vendor and it did nothing.... anyone know a reliable source ?
kill_blind_elite

Postby kill_blind_elite » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:03 pm

also found an awesome cheap source for saffron. am going to try thowing some saffron in it for him and in mine as well ... do you think that would taint the fruit taste ?
kill_blind_elite

Postby kill_blind_elite » Mon May 06, 2013 4:34 pm

ok so I havde some new supplies coming in the mail ... corks, two-way airlock, carboy, champagne yeast for my next batch some campden tablets for the racking process and some bentonite for clarifying the mead before bottling. I have also bought a syphoning tube that I picked up at home depot for racking ... these batches I'm going to rack onto some fruit so that it gives it a sweeter flavor blueberry for the blue agave and probably peaches for the spiced melomel was also thinking pumpkin instead of peaches or both. the process will be completed with priming the blue agave with more blue agave amber nectar and priming the other with more honey before bottling after the clarifying takes place. what a weird hobby this is! now I'm learning about the different yeasts for different types of wines and meads. I got red star champagne yeast because I like sweet wines and I'm not into dry wines all that much ... if all goes well I am thinking of aging some about three years and entering a competition to see if I can win some money and sell my recipe. will update with the results after the first racking. all I'm waiting for is the campden tablets to get here and then it's off to the super market to get some fruit !!! :-)
kill_blind_elite

Postby kill_blind_elite » Wed May 08, 2013 1:21 am

ok so tonight I'm trying a glass of my month old mead ... maybey it's been a month and a weak who knows but it tastes great and has alcohol !!! can't wait to get my campden tablets so that I can rack it and fermet it some more. it has no molds because I was super sanitary in the beginning processes. tastes good which means that it's going to taste phenomenal when it ages and I'm going to throw some cebile in it ... the cool thing about this is that my moms stuff won't taste too bad with lemon so I can try to rack it onto some lemon and mabey add some caoco nibs to try out that cebil thing ... the guys over in the vino de cebil thread will be happy and mabey I can send out a christmas present or two in the name of our holy deities birthright ... just kidding but wouldn't mind sending out an x-mas present or two ! well my girl is in the shower and I'm going to go fuck her now :-)
kill_blind_elite

Postby zubsza » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:56 pm

can't wait to get my campden tablets so that I can rack it and fermet it some more.

The Camden will kill all of the yeast in your brew, so it will not continue to ferment after that point. Camden is really best used before your yeast has been added to sterilize your wort/must. It will kill any bacteria and wild yeasts so that your yeast strain doesn't have any competition. The other thing that camden can be used for, as I mentioned earlier, is to stop a fermentation. I have heard of people using it to stop fermentation in a mead before bottling. Mead does have a nasty habit of kind of eternally fermenting sometimes haha.

Anyway...I wouldn't worry about the camden...just rack it and let the yeast finish doing its thing. Mead can take some patience sometimes, and camden can make some weird flavors. In my opinion the only reason you would want to use camden is if you were looking to achieve a completely still mead. Which is admittedly pretty tricky to do...always seem to get a few bubbles in there whether you like it or not...add 24 hours before bottling...you have to give it time to dissipate before bottling or you will get some funky flavors.

I believe it [camden] is mostly used by distillers when the quality of the wash is less important because it isnt the end product.

Also, not to presumptuous, but the term "secondary fermenter" is a bit misleading. The purpose of the secondary fermenter is mostly to move the liquid off of the bed of increasingly dead yeast cells that forms at the bottom of the fermenter and into a fresh vessel to finish fermentation. This will improve the flavor and clarity of your brew, but isnt necessary. You can simply leave it in your primary fermenter and allow it to finish there. The difference in taste will be minimal...it really does help a great deal with clarity though.

Hopefully that is helpful...have fun! Sounds like you have a lot decent ideas... (I am a big fan of experimenting with brewing)
zubsza

Postby teeko » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:47 am

Hey zubsza! Glad to see you around! Still go on irc?

All lies contain truth.

All truths are circumstantial.
teeko

Return to Fermented Drinks