Which of these should I grow a scoby from?

This is the place to discuss wine, mead, beer, spirits, concoctions, techniques, additives, etc.

Which of these should I grow a scoby from? -

Postby el sol » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:23 pm

I bought two bottles to grow a scoby from...

--High Country Aloe Kombucha
--Honest Tea Lemon Ginger Kombucha

There was no plain flavor unfortunately, but would one of the above be better for starting a scoby than the other? It seems like there could be a risk of the added ingredients making things rancid from being left at room temperature.

Also, has anyone got tips for a reputable guide for brewing kombucha? There're so many personal variations out there by the looks of it.

:?
el sol

Re: Which of these should I grow a scoby from? -

Postby BiffCo1138 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:01 am

It doesn't seem like adding other ingredients directly to the brewing tea/culture would be a good idea. Other than contaminates messing up the brewing process, you might fock up the actual culture for later use. This article seems to agree. Found it on http://www.getkombucha.com/kofl.html

"How to Properly Bottle and Flavor Kombucha Tea
Flavoring your kombucha tea can be fun and creative. The possibilities are endless. However, it is important to note, that any flavoring should be initiated AFTER the kombucha tea has fermented and is removed away from the kombucha culture.

In other words:
  • FIRST - Let you tea properly ferment with the kombucha culuture in it for 7 to 10 days.
  • THEN - Set the kombucha culture aside and transfer your now newly fermented kombucha tea into another container, pitcher or bottle individually.
  • FINALLY - Add your favorite juice, dried fruit, and/or tea to the fermented tea. Making sure that these additional ingredients, never come in contact with the kombucha culture."
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. -Robert A. Heinlein
BiffCo1138

Re: Which of these should I grow a scoby from? -

Postby el sol » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:42 am

Thanks. I ended up buying a mother off Etsy for a couple of bucks, and it's already growing a new surface layer. I'm using Twilings' "Prince of Wales" blend tea and organic cane sugar. Hopefully it'll turn out well!
el sol

Re: Which of these should I grow a scoby from?

Postby nepalnt21 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:50 am

just make sure its plain black tea. no flavorings, especially earl grey tea (bergamot can seriously stunt the scoby, even kill it i thnink)
nepalnt21

Return to Fermented Drinks