Vodka infusions

This is the place to discuss wine, mead, beer, spirits, concoctions, techniques, additives, etc.

Vodka infusions -

Postby Orlando di Lass » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:06 pm

Hey, has anyone tried infusing vodka with Blue Lotus or Kratom? I'm thinking about giving this a try as it seems an easy way to make an enjoyable beverage. Obviously the dosing of the Kratom would have to be more conservative than the Blue Lotus. Any suggestions about how long, how much to steep, etc?
Orlando di Lass

Re: Vodka infusions -

Postby Entheogenetics » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:57 am

I've made blue lotus brandy, vodka would probably work better than that (although not as smooth:)). I think I used maybe a pint of brandy per 40g of lotus, something like that. Just make sure you use enough alcohol for the lotus to be 'loose,' as in all of it is suspended when shaken, no clumpiness. Don't use too much alcohol either (too much is better than too little), the alcohol shouldn't be much higher than lotus in the jar. Shake jar well every few days for 2-6 weeks. My last jar sat for nearly a year.

Haven't tried Kratom, but I'm pretty sure alcohol isn't enough to get all the actives out.
Entheogenetics

Postby Orlando di Lass » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:46 pm

Cool. What do you use to strain the vodka after? I think that if making tea from Kratom gets some of the active components out, then alcohol should extract them as well.
Orlando di Lass

Postby Entheogenetics » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:20 pm

I use a sock.

I think some kratom actives are water soluble and others are soluble in alcohol.
Entheogenetics

Postby PeaceOfMind » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:00 am

^^

Which means if you use an 80 or 100 proof vodka, you'd have an even enough mix of alcohol and water to pull out the actives.
PeaceOfMind

Postby Aqualungcancer » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:40 am

i made a nice infusion with Dripping Springs vodka (nothings worse than cheap vodka flavor!), with damiana and lotus infused in it. It was a very nice and relaxing infusion and the damiana botanical flavor tamed the bitterness of the lotus nicely. I put about an ounce of lotus (alba+blue), with an ounce of damiana. If i could change one thing i would use leaf damiana instead of powdered from capsules. I used the powder from the caps in an effort to increase surface area of contact with solvent thereby enhancing the extraction. Unfortunately without my trusty vacuum filtration setup at home, filtering the herbs out at the end of the steeping process proved quite messy and difficult and I was left with a layer of muck and the bottom of the bottle and I would have liked a clearer end product. Alas, I will definitely try this one again but maybe just stick to leaves to save me work on the back-end of the process.
After filtration I topped off the bottle with some spring water with sugar dissolved in it to add just a touch of sweet to the botanical flavor and it turned out to be very tasty.

My favorite mix with this was just about 2-3 oz with some lemonade over ice.... NICE :D

Note: Ive never tried this with kratom ( i don't really have experience with that plant) but alcohol seems to lend to the character i don't like in opioids (sleepiness) and distracts from the part that I do like (lucidity, fantasy). Overall i steer clear of the opioids unless needed for analgesia. :disappointed:
Aqualungcancer

Re: Vodka infusions

Postby kill_blind_elite » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:49 pm

I have used both blue lotus and kratom in vodka ... I used to be a huge vodka drinker and so my first experiment with blue lotus was in vodka that I let sit for two weeks , shaking it here and there. it tasted disgusting but worked great ... the best out of all the times I have used blue lotus and I have this thing that I do from time to time with kratom when I have vodka .... I make a tea with the kratom and I like to make a pot at I time and add two quick squirts of lime juice or lemon, usually lemon and then after I strain it I take the kratom that is left in the bottum of the pan and put it in a cup and barely cover it with vodka and put in the micro and set it for thirty seconds ... it heats up realy fast so you have to be ready to stop it as soon as it boils cause it will trash your microwave. you can also do this with plain kratom or kratom enhanced with extract and the liquid will be black with alkaloids. then filter the vodka mix with a clean t-shirt and the numbness hits instantly along with other things withing four minutes. :-)
kill_blind_elite

Return to Fermented Drinks