essential oils-- smoking salvia sclarea (clary sage)

This is the plant discussion forum. Here we can discuss all other entheogenic plants, historical use, preparations, etc.
Coz the Shroom

essential oils-- smoking salvia sclarea (clary sage)

Post by Coz the Shroom » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:04 pm

I've used clary sage for quite some time. I used to put it in my whiskey when I drank a lot, and it is far more psychoactive this way than thujone bearing sages (including absynthe), but produces a mean hangover! A few drops on other smoking material produces a pretty nice high-- and a great rush if you use a pipe and french inhale the smoke through your nostrils. (motherwort and tobacco are my favorite carriers). It is fairly intense and I would say it is somewhat psychedelic in effects too, although this is short lived.
There is still no real consensus on whether salvia splendins is psychoactive, but clary sage is definitely the most psychoactive sage I've experienced after divinorum! In the 90's I tried smoking leaf and it did nothing. Perhaps flowers are a better bet, but lord that essential oil is powerful!

unsigned_char72

Re: essential oils-- smoking salvia sclarea (clary sage)

Post by unsigned_char72 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:18 pm

I wonder what would be the effect of clary sage oil drops over divinorum leaves.

In the past I've investigated many sages (including splendens) plus mugwort, absinthe, catnip, coleus and some other herb but found none to be active.

Coz the Shroom

Post by Coz the Shroom » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:41 pm

mugwort seems to be an active oneirogenic-- the others do not seem very active to me... but clary sage packs a whallop! When I first started using it, I looked up the phytochemistry to see if it was high in thujone and was surprised to see that it had none at all!

unsigned_char72

Post by unsigned_char72 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:08 am

I've found only one report of mixing Sclarea and Divinorum, which I report here too:
AmNotMe of drugs-forum wrote:I decided to see if it might have any interaction with other salvia species.
I still had some leftover salvia divinorum 5x extract on which I put a drop of sclarea oil, I have used salvia plenty of times without a tripsitter as to me it is a spiritual type experience and the more input you get from outside, the easier your trip can get scary and weird.
I put in earplugs so I cannot get distracted by sudden loud noises (which are plenty around here), turn on my colored led lights to create a calm atmosphere, and sit in a cross legged lotus position (like when meditating) then I clear my mind as much as I can, and know that as long as I do it this way I will not have a bad trip, and I won't come out of my position on my own.

Now this time was different, it didn't seem as scary as a normal salvia trip, I didn't feel some of the strange feelings I get with salvia, it just seemed I fell back on the bed and into my mind completely, I saw some weird patterns, and I couldn't feel anything but my body, my thoughts were just thoughts in a big empty non existent void.
There was no world, I had no self no body, there was nothing, except my thought, all my senses were completely shut down, it may sound scary, but it was weirdly blissful.

That said, there might be an interaction somehow, that or it just requires a lot of careful planning for a good salvia trip, that normally gets ruined or scary by people trying to interact with you, instead of just lying back and enjoying feeling pure thought.
That's interesting. Now I want to put my hands over the essential oil and the real plant itself. I wonder how much dried plant material equals a drop of essential oil.

unsigned_char72

Post by unsigned_char72 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:30 am

damn, went to three different local herbalist shops and none had the clary sage oil. Just the officinalis one.