Tincture advice

This is the plant discussion forum. Here we can discuss all other entheogenic plants, historical use, preparations, etc.
spacebaba

Tincture advice

Post by spacebaba » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:32 pm

Hey guys, so im going to start making my own tinctures. Im ordering herbs now, not sure If i should go with whole root/cut form or powder form. I believe whole root/cut might be better? Correct me if im wrong or any help informing me with be great. Also, please feel free to post your tincture tek.... im not even completely sure which method to go with. Thanks!

catfishrivers

Re: Tincture advice

Post by catfishrivers » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:54 pm

It would depend on what herb you are talking about...for some plants one part is safe, and another part isn't. Others one part might be more potent or less potent...but it all depends on the plant in question. I'm not sure you mentioned what you are asking about.

Vor33t3x

Post by Vor33t3x » Tue May 01, 2012 6:28 am

A few tips:
If you are working with dried herbs or roots, you will need an alcohol content of at least 40 %, preferably 50%.. if tincturing fresh, use a high proof like everclear.
Don't use powdered herbs, but loose cut or sifted is the best. Use enough menstrum to cover about an inch over say two cups of dandelion root in a quart mason jar,
some herbs/roots will swell and need more added.
I like to give my tinctures a month in the dark with regular agitation before I strain and decant.
If you are working with fresh herbs, you will want to loosely chop first, but never blend it with the menstrum in a blender or you will end up with a vile substance.
I only tincture skullcap fresh. I'm not sure of the correct maceration times, but you will want to end up with a golden hue. if it looks greenish, you've done something wrong.

spacebaba

Post by spacebaba » Tue May 01, 2012 9:41 pm

Thanks for the advice guys, ill be tinctuing things like valerian, passionflower, gingko, damiana all ordering from same herb vendors they just offer cut/whole or powder.

catfishrivers

Post by catfishrivers » Tue May 01, 2012 11:23 pm

I've been having lots of fun experimenting with chamomile flowers. You can get a pound of the stuff for like 8 bucks or less.

spacebaba

Post by spacebaba » Wed May 02, 2012 12:41 am

Yes I plan on getting some of those to0!