yaupon holly

This is the plant discussion forum. Here we can discuss all other entheogenic plants, historical use, preparations, etc.
throat_gorge

yaupon holly -

Post by throat_gorge » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:46 am

a quick search revealed no commercial source for this herb. I very much would like to try "black drink."

teeko

Re: yaupon holly -

Post by teeko » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:15 pm

Big block home improvement stores I have seen carry this one.
thisisnotanimage

All lies contain truth.

All truths are circumstantial.

DayLight
Location: wherein once it is seen, twice felt and the third time is the charm. love. serpents. awe and wonder.

Post by DayLight » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:41 pm

very common in the nursery trade. ive seen it for sale on both the east coast and west coast. its very hardy, should be an easy find...if its not in stock most good nurseries should be able to get it on special order. i had a plant for awhile. the tea tasted awful. is stick with mate.

throat_gorge

Post by throat_gorge » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:49 pm

Sipping this as we speak. Enjoying the funky taste but trying to sip slowly, as I do not wish to vomit. I already feel very perks and feisty though!
I may serve this at my Nokamal/Mate bar, if I go into business!
So far so good!

throat_gorge

Post by throat_gorge » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:06 pm

t + 15... feel grrrrreat!!!!! Very strong drink!

teeko

Post by teeko » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:20 pm

I just realized (after reading here and then getting a ID on it) that I have a large Ilex cassine 'Dahoon Holly' in my front yard. Berries seem extremely viable.

Seems this is used in 'black drink' as well yes? Might have to roast some up, especially since I am having the tree trimmed on Friday so I can get some sunlight in to an area where I am building a small water-garden aka miniature pond. Shrimp/snails/crawdads/fish/plants the works. Going to try and do it as 'native' as possible. Sorry, getting off topic.

throat_gorge, do you have a good recipe or method to roast the leaves?
thisisnotanimage

All lies contain truth.

All truths are circumstantial.

FriendofPopcorn

Post by FriendofPopcorn » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:25 pm

Word of warning about "Black Drink." IF anyone wanting to try it is allergic or otherwise cannot have caffeine, DO NOT consume any. Vomiting is normal with it as that's primarily what it was used for - purging and purification.

If anyone is ever in south eastern NC, look up "Town Creek Indian Mound" and go visit for some info on where Youpon grows and how it was used. According to some Lumbee Indians I once worked with, that's where the coffee based 'ellick' (strong black coffee with extra sugar) may have originated.

FriendofPopcorn

Post by FriendofPopcorn » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:36 pm

teeko wrote: throat_gorge, do you have a good recipe or method to roast the leaves?
You don't want to over cook them, just gently warm them until they are dry and crispy, traditionally in a clay pot over a slow fire. You don't want them to change very much color in the dry 'roast.' The 'back' comes when you pack them into a pot and boil until the water turns black.