Kratom leaf drop, how normal?

This is the plant discussion forum. Here we can discuss all other entheogenic plants, historical use, preparations, etc.
GK77

Kratom leaf drop, how normal? -

Post by GK77 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:53 pm

In grow zone 10 (I think) east central Florida. The Mitragyna tree is dropping leaves fast. It actually lives at my mothers house, as I live in an apartment a few hours north, so I hadn't tended to it personaly in a few months. I just came down for the holiday and am chekcking up on it.
It gets watered daily, fertilized weekly with a high N food, as well as with extended release spikes. I am slowing the watering and feeding slightly, as temps (and leaves) are dropping.

I have looked around and see that it is somewhat normaal for many leaves to drop, but what % is in normal range? I mean it will need some leaves to make it through the winter as to be able to absorb sun in the spring, right?

Ill post some pics later today
Guess I am worried after all that work and I may lose her. The winter rarely get below freezing here, its actually 70degrees here now. I plan on getting some xmas lights to wrap around the tree for the colder nights, but thats about it.

Ill get to work on those pics to give you some perspective, thanks folks ;)

-G7
"I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
-AE

http://forums.botanicalswap.org/index.php?topic=1808.0

GK77

Re: Kratom leaf drop, how normal? -

Post by GK77 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:56 pm

Heres what i snapped with my cell real fast:
And some of the leaves that fell off, from fresh to crispy dry.
The tree is about 6 feet tall.

-G7
Attachments
att3998-leavesK2.jpg
att3998-leavesK2.jpg (84.79 KiB) Viewed 2158 times
att3997-leavesK.jpg
att3997-leavesK.jpg (150.17 KiB) Viewed 2158 times
att3996-kratom.jpg
att3996-kratom.jpg (149.03 KiB) Viewed 2158 times
att3995-krat.jpg
att3995-krat.jpg (137 KiB) Viewed 2158 times
Last edited by GK77 on Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-AE

organics

Post by organics » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:54 pm

My 4 lost all leaves last winter except about 3 sets of two per limb nearest the fresh growth... they bounced back like crazy when spring got here...I pulled mine indoors for the winter to a south facing window because I am a couple of states north of you.

It's normal to drop a lot of leaves when the days shorten and get colder. I know a FL grower who went through the same thing; no worries...

I do see you mentioning a possibility that it will get below freezing...from my experience, kratom won't survive that... they seem to do fine in the low 40s once they've become accustomed after a few years (my trees are about 5 years old, 7ft tall each)....but below freezing would scare me... The FL grower I know is further south than you...he gets high 30s and they survive, but not below freezing AFAIK...he said his dropped tons of leaves after a freak frost, but regenerated in the spring...

On a side note...I've found the leaves that dry brown/splotchy brown to be gag-worthy...not in a good way. I don't keep any that have touched the ground...call me paranoid, but when they touch the ground, they almost always dry brown and when they are plucked, they dry green... And this has nothing to do with spent leaves or not...fully spent yellowed leaves dry yellow when plucked, brown when they spend some time on the ground.

Hope this helps...from grower to grower. Be wary of advice from those who don't grow this tree...a lot of bad information out there from the kratom consuming experts, not the kratom growing experts.

GK77

Post by GK77 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:16 pm

You hit it on the head, organics. people keep quoting stuff the pops up on google. I have read all there is to read online it feels like. You and robot here seem to be familiar with the plant.

I was wondering about the leaves too, but didnt want to ask to much in this thread.
I have always noticed the plucked leaves dry a nice green color, but when they stay in the sun too long they turn brown.\
Have you noticed a difference in their potency at all?

-G7
-AE

organics

Post by organics » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:13 pm

You know, I've never had the gonads to try the weird, brown-dried leaves... They just seem like they've sucked up the wood's chemicals (if they drop on a porch) or the chemicals on the lawn or wherever else they drop...I can't think of a good reason that a leaf that hits the ground for a minute dries infinitely darker than a leaf right beside it on the tree that is plucked and dried without ever hitting the ground... odd thing for sure. I just know it's not normal, so I don't risk it... could it be a mold thing? I don't know the mechanics of a drying leaf...drying flowers, sure, not drying leaves :)

Yes, people are funny with their 'advice'...ask for supplies advice, they send you to the most expensive online store available...you say you need help with spider mites, they tell you the opposite of what an experienced gardener would...Off topic but Sorry, it gets my grits

I'm willing to answer any questions you have based on my 5+ years of experience with this tree. I killed my first one by over-neeming...that was a hard lesson learned...apparently any neem is too much to a young tree. Lots of lessons learned over the years. Let me know if you need any more help... and yes, robot knows his stuff, too :)
Last edited by organics on Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GK77

Post by GK77 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:26 am

Ah thats what I have been using! Neem oil, so I hope it doesnt make it sick during the winter. Weird as it sounds I have seen more bugs on it recently than during all of summer, but thanks Ill cut back on the oil.
I still cant get myself to use anything non-organic or synthetic though.

And I have noticed almost all leaves that hit the ground and are in the sun long enough turn brown, but the ones I pluck and bring inside for drying stay green. Maybe I just haven't seen enough seasons of this to be sure though. I ended up separating the ones I plucked and the ones that fell, and that is the common theme i notice though.

Well, I have some xmas light wrapped around my now semi naked tree, as well as a sheet for the really cold nights. This will be its first winter and I am looking forward to sticking it out with her.

I will definatly keep you in mind when questions arise, thanks for all the input and feel free to drop pointers for me here or via PM. You rock for helping out a "black thumb" ;)
Take care,

-G7
-AE

GK77

Post by GK77 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:25 pm

So I hear its not too wise to attempt a cloning at this time of year, but I wanted to get one ready for spring growing.
So a tin (metal ok?) with water, rooting horomone, and a peat moss layer floating on top (neone know the purpose of this?) good for high percentage yield?

Im a visual person so heres a pic for those of you like me.
Basically, whats right/wrong with my attempt?
Wahoo,

-G7
-AE

Ascendancy-Mike

Post by Ascendancy-Mike » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:19 pm

man, are you two the only experienced kratom growers? Shit man, post a thread talking about anything related to consuming kratom, you'll get 20+ post in a few days, post a thread related to growing kratom, and specify that you only want people who have grown this to post, and you get basically a pm posted in a thread. While I've certainly enjoyed reading this I'm sorry to say I have nothing to add other then good luck and happy holidays.

Err i'll add some pointless crap. Pherhaps theres too much negative energy surrounding your tree and it is stressed, and attempting to rip its hair out. Try reading it a story, or rubbing its branches. Call me crazy, but I believe my cactus and orchids feel energy and emotion. Its in my living room, and seems that when people around the house are arguing all week my orchids start to look like they may die (these flowers have been alive for fucking 4+ months, got em in hospital over 3 months ago, still look the same), and then when things are going well at home, they perk up, and with my cactus, it seems to close its spikes when angry, and open up when happy, though the cactus is a bad example because they close there spikes at night, an open in die, or vice versa, cant remember - something to do with breathing fresh air.

GK77

Post by GK77 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:27 pm

Why would the first thing that pops into your mind be about negative energy?
Do I sound like a negative person? I hope not, but u never know how people portray you online.
My grandmother used to tell me to sing to her plants when i was young, and ever since then i have felt they absorb the surrounding energy. I think she was onto something too.
Either way i dont think many gardeners feel stressed when in the garden. Its when I'm most focused and happy actually.

Also dont assume i know anything about growing anything at all. I am a self admitted black thumb and i enlist the advice of those who do, here and elsewhere. Thanks for stopping w/ ur 2 cents though. Ill tell her you think she is stressed, lol ;)

-G7
-AE

GK77

Post by GK77 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:31 am

Well my kratom clone lost its little top leaves, so does that mean it has no chance at rooting?

I think the tree has gone dormant or something. doesnt respond to watering or sunny days verses cloudy ones; as it always did during the power growing months.

Here is a pic of me researching some random sh!t on me laptop on a cold winter night, with the kratom tree lit up behind me.
Come to think of it, better therapy than any anxiolytic.Image

-G7
Last edited by GK77 on Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
-AE