Do You Like Yerba Mate?

This is the plant discussion forum. Here we can discuss all other entheogenic plants, historical use, preparations, etc.
hekura

Do You Like Yerba Mate? -

Post by hekura » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:05 pm

I have the benefit of living in a multi-national neighborhood that has several grocery stores that I frequent. While shopping in a Persian grocery store I discovered that they were selling Yerba Mate. I have read a few things about it on here, so I purchased some. I have started to really like it. It has a foreign but mellow flavor that has grown on me. Plus, I like the mild stimulation I feel when I drink it. It seems like it gives me just enough focus and motivation to keep me interested in another cup. I am consistently satisfied and amazed at the marvelous flavors and objects of interest that come from the latin countries.

teeko

Re: Do You Like Yerba Mate? -

Post by teeko » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:08 pm

I love yerba mate.
thisisnotanimage

All lies contain truth.

All truths are circumstantial.

hekura

Post by hekura » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:16 pm

How do you make it?

I have been making it in a teapot with plenty of the dried herb and hot water. I refill the water several times without adding more tea. It seems to hold a good strong flavor as many times as I want to refill it (usually 3 times).

teeko

Post by teeko » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:25 pm

I use this thing, i just bring the water to just below a boil, before any of the bubbles are actually in motion. then fill my matermo and enjoy.

you dont want the plant material sitting in the water! you only want enough water in the plant material at one time, that you will drink immediately.
check out the matermo's de la hoja, pretty handy device, and it keeps it warm and keeps from spilling so you can take it with you. all for 10 bucks!
thisisnotanimage

All lies contain truth.

Aopocetx

Post by Aopocetx » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:33 pm

If you have some extra money, invest in a gourd. It makes mate so much better. But to answer your question, yes I do like yerba mate.

hekura

Post by hekura » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:41 pm

Really? You don't want the plant material sitting in the water?

I left some water in the teapot once for a few days. It fermented into this nice smell.

But, leaving it in the water seems to taste alright. I put a significant amount of the herb in the pot. I saw a picture on the internet with a recipe that said to fill the teapot. I don't fill it. I put a little less than half.

uandb

Post by uandb » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:02 pm

I like it better than coffee but I dont really drink much of either....I'm speaking purely on flavor. Mate is less bitter and has a smoky flavor to me. They seem to do an equally good job of waking me up.

teeko

Post by teeko » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:26 pm

Really? You don't want the plant material sitting in the water?
traditionally this is so, from what i have read at least/\.
but i have heard of people soaking in water for days then consuming the water. i have heard unless sterilized, it will start to grow nasties within 3 days, even in the refridgerator.

pm me if you want a great source for 100's of kinds for cheap.
thisisnotanimage

All lies contain truth.

Nikola

Post by Nikola » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:03 pm

I just put lots of yerba mate in the teapot, fill it with a cup of warm water, let it sit for around 15 minutes, and then just drink the yerba mate tea. Works nice and it's the only method I can use for now.
As for the original question, yerba mate is one of the best drinks I ever had. And I even had the low quality mate. It's no contest when you compare it to coffee. Gotta buy some yerba mate really soon!
"Can you tell the difference between gold and a lump of coal?"

crazydewman

Post by crazydewman » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:29 pm

i love it